Help needed with planning Dahab trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vidiotic

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking at going to dahab sometime in April. I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations of places to stay and dive shops to dive with. Also will I get away with a rashy or is a wet suit neeed.

I also plan to do the thistlegorm at some point. Is it advisable to sort this out before I leave or can I sort it out easily enough when I arrive.

Cheers

Depends on what you want to spend and what kind of experience you want. There are basic hotels right in Dahab town with integrated dive schools/ops that are pretty reasonable...the other side of the range are more luxury hotels like the Meridien that are located further (south) of town.

Chris

Ask away. As already mentioned here, Dahab has some great places to stay and some awesome diving. IMHO April 3-5mm will be perfect, depends on how long you dive for.
Depends on how much you want to spend as far as accomodation goes.
Swiss-Inn etc nice but not cheap. Stay in town, much cheaper

In April in Dahab I would recommend a 5mm suit maybe with hood or a 5mm semi-dry; the water temp will still be 24 - 25 degrees C although we've had a pretty mild winter this year.

I would of course recommend my own centre which also has a "backpacker" outfit - PM me for details as I do not advertise on here (our website is in my profile). Thistlegorm trips can be arranged but it can be a very long day from Dahab. I think we arrange a pickup at about 4am (I will need to check), which delivers you to the jetty at about 6am where we set sail at 6:30 and then you'll be back in Dahab between 7-8pm.

Thistlegorm trips are often booked by minimum numbers, so it's often difficult to arrange in advance for some centres. Usually you book a package in advance and then arrange the Thistlegorm when you arrive. It is also subject to the vagaries of the weather. If the wind is up, the boats don't go, simple, as everybody in sharm found out today when the authorities closed the jetty after a gale the other night.

hope that helps a little,

C.

Back
Top Bottom