manta ray 350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone ,

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the manta ray 350 underwater scooter.

The specs on this unit seem very good. The price is about $200.

It seems tempting, but maybe it's to good to be true.

Thanks

Really it depends on your expectations. Be aware that the performance claims are downright rediculous. 6 mile range, 3-4 mph top speed blah blah. Serious 4-5 thousand dollar scooters have trouble getting close to those kind of numbers. Having said that it might make a nice toy for snorkeling around a reef or helping out with surface swims. I do quite a few current sensitive shore dives on my scooter where failure while not lethal would mean a HUGE PITA. No way would I try a profile like that on one of those.

If you're using that scooter in Massachusetts water - it will be wicked slow in the currents and what not.

X

I've been toying with the idea of making one as a winter project. I'll have to see what material costs will be though. Running a trolling motor off a 12 volt marine battery seems workable.

Thanks for the feedback!

Pipefish, I have no idea what your level of manufacturing/engineering capability is. From the lack of DIY scooters out there I suspect that it's quite a bit harder than a marine battery and a trolling motor. Having said that if you do manage to build something that works I would love to hear a report on how it went for you and see some pictures of the results. I've been hoping against hope for a while that someone would come up with a simple cheap homebuilt design. I wish you and the other DIYers out there all the best in your endeavors.

I have been talking with this guy for a couple of days. One of the guys I dive with has one that he has only gotten 20 min of battery time in the pool. I think you can squeeze more time out of it but this is a $200 (or less) scooter so you get what you pay for.

I have one just deliver to me 2 weeks ago. On the 2nd dive (yesterday) @ -25 ft the motor lock up and I end up hauling 20 lbs of dead weight. Still waiting to hear from Xcel in California. This is one of those deals to stay away from. Worked fine the first time, now the propeller is hard to turn by hand and when you hit the trigger it turns the propeller a few centimeters and stops, the battery cables gets hot since the motor is not working, what a piece of junk. Do not get this so call scooter, is very unreliable even if you are going to use it for snorkeling. :no:

I was send by the seller of the scooter the parts and instructions to fix it. Here I am posting the instructions send to me, this information applies to all scooters of this design. Hope this help others.

Reasons why Sea Scooter failed:
Gears and bearings did not have any lubrication (disgruntled employee @ factory?) causing the bearings to freeze and jamming the motor and burn it up, the load on the motor caused the CMOS Chip Controller to overheat causing a electrical failure.

NOTE: When disassembling the scooter make sure to put every screw for each section of the scooter in separate zip lock bags and label it, that way you will not have a hard time putting it back together. IMHO.

Parts replaced:

1- All 9 bearings
2- 24VDC Motor
3- CMOS Chip Controller

Packed with marine grease all bearings, lubricated the gears with grease, replaced motor, CMOS Chip Controller, added silicone grease to all silicone seals, re-assembled Scooter. Alive again!!

If you have one of this type of sea scooters, check to make sure the transmission and bearings are well lubricated, as with all metal moving parts friction will develop into a headache, check, lubricate, lubricate. Make sure you check your scooter at least monthly during heavy use and quarterly while is not in use. Small amounts of water will get into the transmission, I found rust on the gears in my 2 time used scooter at sea.

If you can spare the money get a Torpedo 2000, 2500 or 3000 you will like it. I rented one from the LDS and is heavy but well built with a good depth rating and plenty of battery time.

Attachments

• Sea_Scooter_Service.zip
    129.4 KB · Views: 124
  • gears.JPG
    gears.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 74
  • controller.JPG
    controller.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 65
  • motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 81
  • shaft.JPG
    shaft.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 4 bearings.JPG
    4 bearings.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
KP3S, would like more information:
1-the company (Xcel) you attended quickly?
2-the parts that you sent, how much they cost?
3-when you used the scooter, how long the battery lasted, more or less?
Note: couldn't open your attachment, if possible send again.(Sea Scooter Service.zip)
Thanks, and sorry my English, I'm Brazilian.

Back
Top Bottom