Is it just MY instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba13

Reaction score
It seems that this PADI is a money pit. Is it just my instructor? So I sign up, $279, they say everything is included. We have an orientation, and they say we all have to buy mask, fin, snorkel. So i shell out $200 bucks for thats equipment. Then he says, oh by the way, your 4 open water dives are not covered here. You have to pay an extra $89 to do that. Geez oh man, this is starting to be like a scam. I know SCUBA is expensive, but shouldn't they tell you this upfront instead of telling you once you have already started?!

They should tell you ALL of the costs upfront...anything less is deceptive. It is common for many dive shops to require that a student have basic gear...some are even so bold as to require that you buy it only from them.

I would complain, although it probably will not do much good. You can always report the shop/Instructor to PADI. I'm not familiar with the process of filing complaints to PADI but, I'm sure someone here can help you out.

Unfortunately, many dive shops are very deceptive when it comes to class costs.

fair disclosure of course costs should be made up front. PADI does not set prices that instructors charge for courses. I'm not aware of any agency that does.

Scuba13 once bubbled...
It seems that this PADI is a money pit. Is it just my instructor? So I sign up, $279, they say everything is included. We have an orientation, and they say we all have to buy mask, fin, snorkel. So i shell out $200 bucks for thats equipment. Then he says, oh by the way, your 4 open water dives are not covered here. You have to pay an extra $89 to do that. Geez oh man, this is starting to be like a scam. I know SCUBA is expensive, but shouldn't they tell you this upfront instead of telling you once you have already started?!

So, I'd like to know if they told you directly that $279 gets you certified....Did you ask any questions?

As for the equipment, I think many shops make you purchase the basic gear....As for more cash for the OW dives, that is uncool....Again, I wonder exactly what they told you...What did your receipt say?

I have heard of deceptive shops...Just have been lucky enough not to have experienced one so far.

Directly says, "the program includes acadmics, pool dives, and actual scuba diving in open water."

Then you should not have to pay $89.00 for check out dives or be required to purchase any gear. It makes no such mention of additional costs or other considerations so, you should not be expected to shell out any more cash.

The description of the course you provided sounds intentionally vague and misleading. Complain and see if they offer any resolution.

Are you sure the extra fee is not for boat diving as opposed to shore diving?

... is probably for rental gear(BC, wetsuit, etc) for your checkout dives....

My LDS charges $125 for BOW certification. Students are given a flyer that tells them they will have to provide their personal gear (mask, fins, snorkel, wieght, belt and booties). They also have to purchase the appropriate book for the class they are taking (NAUI or PADI).

The cost of the class includes tank, bcd and regulator for use during the class sessions. It also included the pool fee.

The student is responsible for the o/w checkout dives. Generally, if they go to our local lake, the cost is $5 per person, per day. The instructors are usually flexible and willing to go wherever the students decide for their checkout dives, as there are several suitable lakes within a few hours driving time from here. The cost of this is not covered by the course fee, and all of this is stated upfront to the prospective students.

YMMV.

Scuba13 once bubbled...

Ok, who's the instructor and what's the name of the shop and where is it located? Inquiring minds want to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom