Need a Tank Rack, Any Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this for in your car so they don't roll around?

If you are talking about a rack in the garage that’s permanent and holkds all of your tanks, then Home Depot sells the exact same thing for around $3.00. They call it a 2x6. Some assembly required and the finish is nowhere near as pretty as the aluminum one, but give it the Martha Stewart treatment and the possibilities are endless. If you’re talking about a rack to stop rolling and sliding during transport, PVC pipe and rope is available on a different isle in the same store.

I have made racks out of just about everything. I have probably spent hundreds of dollars trying to come up with something that will last. But seeing I dive almost every other day they take a beating.

From the photos the rack looks portable so you can use it anywhere... But yes, I would be using them in the back of my truck...

I don’t use any rack system in the back of my truck (or anywhere else for that matter). All of the tanks go to the front of the bed with valves facing the back. Weight belts on either side stop side to side rolling. A cargo strap weaved from valve to valve and attached to the cleats on both sides of the bed (I have nice tie down points down low in the bed) hold everything tight. There’s nothing in that setup to wear out except for the bed liner. If you wear out the bed liner you really do need help. Then I’d look into having the entire bed lined with Teflon planks (available at West Marine).

Hmmmm, you might have something there... thanks.

Use pool noodles, they are cheap, can be easily cut to any size and just connect them with some rope.

Wendy once bubbled...
Use pool noodles, they are cheap, can be easily cut to any size and just connect them with some rope.

That's what I use in my van. The first set wore out pretty quick when the knots in the rope pulled through the noodle. The second set was made with big washers between the noodle and rope knot, perfect!

I used the noodle approach as well. Got the kind with a hole in the middle and pushed a piece of CPVC pipe (it fit the hole) down the center and threaded the rope through with a knot on both sides. So far they are lasting nicely.

my boot keeps my tank from rolling, its a hex boot, I'd have to corner like I was racing to get it to roll.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom