About 70 in the keys now - what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfoster33702

Contributor
Reaction score
We're going down on 3/12 and I'm hoping it warms up just a bit before that! What I love about the keys is shorts/t-shirt diving :)

Any weather-people on here who can predict the water temp increase?

unless you don't chill easily I would say shorts/tshirt diving is out of the question---a/o Sat night in Ft. Lauderdale the temp is 67 at 25 ft. and 70 at 90ft. 3/12 is in 3 weeks--so maybe the temps will increase ever so slightly. I would count on wearing a 3mm.

FYI..it's the coldest winter apparently since 1888.

Yeah - this weather is so crazy, I don't have any past experience to base a temperature guess on :)

The good news is less algae in the water = better vis :)

My family is going to Key Largo. We're bringing 3mm full suits. They are snorkling. I'm also going to buy a 2-3mm hooded vest for myself (in addition to the 3mm full) diving. Hope it gets warmer in 3 weeks.

you should be ok with the 3mm and a 3mm hood vest combo. Ive seen most people the last week make it with a 3 mm. If you are naturally cold then bring something extra maybe a shorty.

70-71F @ banana reef and 71-72F @molasses today. temps inside hawks channel and the ocean side creeks were 64-65F. i suspect the water might warm a few degrees at best during your time frame. our group has been diving in 5-7mm full suits with hooded vests!! here's the historical sea temp averages for molasses reef,,,,,,,,

www.ndbc.noaa.gov/images/climplot/MLRF1_st.jpg

reefman
key largo

today at florida key dive centers (i work with them) morning dive it was 68F and yesterday at LOOE key it was 73F
a 3mm is just fine for looe key but i used a dry suit @ molasses today if your diving key largo dont use FKDC use rainbow reef if diving looe key use inner space in big pine (i work with them also)
hope this helps

Use 3mm at minimum more if you chill easily.

today at florida key dive centers (i work with them) morning dive it was 68F and yesterday at LOOE key it was 73F
a 3mm is just fine for looe key but i used a dry suit @ molasses today if your diving key largo dont use FKDC use rainbow reef if diving looe key use inner space in big pine (i work with them also)
hope this helps

Can you elaborate on why not to use FKDC in Key Largo? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom