Keys Info needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IntotheAbyss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looks like i will be going to the keys from 3/12-3/18 and staying at an uncle's place in Marathon. Looking forward to my first ever Key's diving experience. Any suggestions or information as to who to use or can't miss highlights? I looked at the list of operators but with it being my first diving trip to the keys I want to get some info on who to use and what I should see. I will go anywhere in order to dive but will be limited to two days...

Looks like i will be going to the keys from 3/12-3/18 and staying at an uncle's place in Marathon. Looking forward to my first ever Key's diving experience. Any suggestions or information as to who to use or can't miss highlights? I looked at the list of operators but with it being my first diving trip to the keys I want to get some info on who to use and what I should see. I will go anywhere in order to dive but will be limited to two days...

Hall dive center in Marathon, they run a really good operation:D

It's kind of hard not knowing your certification levels for recommending dives, but...If you are staying in the Marathon area to dive, then the Thunderbolt is a can't miss dive! (deeper wreck at 120 to the sand) The reefs in that area are decent The Donut, the Stake, Sombrero light...all nice places to dive and plenty of fish! (I always use Captain Hook's or Tilden's in that general area)

If you are venturing out towards Key West, then you can take a stop in Big Pine and dive Looe Key reef which is one of the nicest reefs I've seen. (the Adolphus Busch is there, but is just an "OK" wreck dive..although Loos Key Resort does a Wednesday 3 tank dive, One on the Busch, and two on the reef...great deal if ya ask me!)

Further down in Key West, you can dive the Vandenberg, I've used either Subtropic or Captains Corner down there. The reefs off of KW aren't bad, but there are many better reefs down there!

If you are headed up towards the Islamorada, Key Largo area, there are more wrecks and reefs than you can shake a stick at...I've been using Conch Republic Divers exclusively the past few years, you can't go wrong with them!

Good luck! Enjoy and safe diving!

just came back from the keys - my 1st time also -

i recommend Amoray Dive resort in Key Largo - great staff and very helpfull.

john

If you're so qualified, do a few wrecks, my top choices are the Duane and the Bibb (sometimes done as a two tank dive, the Duane can be a drift from one end to the other), the Spiegel Grove (considered by some to be an advanced dive), and the Eagle.

All 4 are "artificial wrecks" sunk as havens for fish and to provide more dive sites. As such they are relatively intact and upright, except the Eagle has been around a while and is broken in half.

Come to think of it, the Bibb is on it's side and after consulting Google, it's a deeper dive, 130 feet to the sand.

Here's another plug for those who like to keep logbooks

"The Bibb sits on its side in 130 feet of water. As it is outside the reef line, the current is often quite ripping. This is an advanced dive, and few diveshops will take divers without proper documentation (i.e., log books showing deep dives, Advanced C-cards, etc.)."

http://www.upperkeysdivesites.com/z_panorama/divesites_java.cfm?siteID=33

My family is going to Key Largo 3/11-14.

Two years ago my wife and I had planned to dive/snorkel at Key Largo but tropical storm Faye kept us away. We ended up going to Key West for 1-day. The diving from KW was so-so.

This time we'll do a few dive/snorkel sites. There are many dive ops in Key Largo area, most have fairly good reputation. For diving, Key Largo seems to be the best in the keys, while partying is the best at KW. Marathon, maybe you can claim to be close to the best of both.

Does anyone have dive boat recommendations for Key West?

Captains Corner and Subtropic are the only two I've ever used! Both are good at what they do! (and less expensive than most of the other ops)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom