stupid question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBrianScubaTeam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have never wore a hood diving before. I'm going out on Saturday and I think I will freeze without one. Any tricks on getting your mask to fit comfortably with the hood? I don't see how I will be able to adjust my mask under water if I need to. Sorry stupid question I know. :D

Normally it's not an issue. You position your mask as usual to get it in the right place using the bottom of your nose as a reference and then you run your finger around the skirt to ensure the hood is over the mask if you are diving glove less. Or if diving with thick gloves or mittens you will grab the hood at the lower cheekbone and at the forehead on the same side, lift and stretch so the hood is lifted clear of the mask skirt and then seats on top of it. Repeat on the other side.

The only other detail is how much you need to trim the hood. If it's 3mm or very flexible you may not need to trim it. If it's 7mm like I use on my semi-dry then it's very heavy and if it overlaps the mask too much it will break the face seal. So in this case you should trim it so it overlaps the mask skirt by a uniform 3/8" all round.

I know some that wear the mask on the outside of the hood. They generally have "adjustable" mask straps of some kind and swear to high Heaven that if you wear it inside the hood, the hood will leak.

Then, there is the other side of the coin. I have friends that wear it on the inside of the hood. They dont have adjustable straps usually and dont think it makes the hood leak.

My solution....I NEVER DIVE COLD!!!

In this forum, ask and you will receive info. On 19 Feb 2010, we dove with Jupiter Dive Center, had a total blast. Capt Mike, DMs Chris, Doug and Jeff, picked great sites for shark, Goliath Grouper, Sting Ray, Turtle picture moments. Of the three dives, water temp was 70 degrees, viz was 80+. Some wore hoods, others did not. Trick, fit your hood at home with your mask. With hood on, fit mask in place, ensure hood is raised over mask skirt. Repeat this practice on the dive boat just before your dive, have your dive buddy or DM on boat, inspect to ensure the hood is not under the mask skirt. Some divers can tolerate the cool water temps. Diving cold has it's rewards, great viz and lots of fish interaction during migration. Enjoy your dives. :wink:

Put your hood on, then your mask.
You will need to loosen the mask strap a little to account for the thickness of the hood. Place the mask on your face like you normally would then run your fingers around the edge of the hood to make sure the mask is sealed on your face. If the skirt of the mask sits on the hood it will leak.

If the water is 70 degrees try just a cap. That is what I wear and seems to do the job. But this is coming from an ice diver, so take it as you will.

I wear my mask OVER the hood. I do roll back the edge of the opening when I place the mask on then flip the neoprene so it covers the skirt.

If you wear the mask under the hood and you take a fin to the mask, readjusting can be a bear. Further more, I will sometimes remove my mask during the dive for a rinse.

Check out Dive Buddy Todd's video of the Jupiter trip at www.socaldiveimages.com/dive_trips/jupiter10/jupiter. I jollypize for forgetting it in the previous message. :D

link not working for me. Any tips?

Page not found
The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

- Click the Back button in your browser to try another link.
- Use a search engine like Google to look for information on the Internet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HTTP 404 - File not found

I tried mask both ways, inside and outside. Liked inside much better, mask first, no need for adjustment, then hood. To be precise, hood first through the neck, than pool it out, then mask, then hood around the head. First time hood – another story, mine first rented hood was extremely uncomfortable. Bought hyperstretched eventually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom