Shoot First Ask Questions Later ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was pretty hooked on hunting and diving after certified. Like take a limit of fish on one tank you are really in to it . Mine you all game taken was legal and eaten except for one rare occasion . Diving solo from my inflatable with my brother in law non diver top side on a beautiful Saturday morning the story goes !!! Diving in 50 feet of sea with my trusty scuba pro gun in tow , hey they were way cool guns solid carbon fiber and could float, when this 55 gallon drum came slowly swimming toward me. It did have a head and tail , it was a big big fish. I looked at the fish and looked at my gun and thought no way that extra band was not even cocked on my gun . Was that a giant black sea bass or jew fish ? It sure did not look black to me it was grey with some blotches so it could be legal , maybe . It swam away and I decided to load the extra band if it came back " guess what " it came back and gave me a underwater ride
half way to Catalina island . If I do not receive a bunch of nasty reply the story will be finished later.

what??

So it came swimming back and thats when you realized it was a LEGAL size fish and you carefully took your shot... please finish, sounds interesting. :nailbiter:

"Continuation Of Story " I filled my B.C. to the max and surfaced being pulled down and up like a cork or a dork . I was waving with one hand and holding on the gun with the other trying to signal my wifes brother to help me . He did not no what the hell was going on that my arm waving was about the big fish on the line . He finally started the motor and pulled anchor . Then things got pretty hilarious , not knowing how to operate the outboard , he put it in reverse and was making circles in all directions and me bobbing up and down . This must of lasted for ten minutes till the line went slack. Pulling the line up to see if I had the shaft or the fish had it . The tip had spun off which was luck for me . I probable would of towed it be hide my inflatable to Redondo harbor . It would have been a big spectacle and alert the authorities . I could even got a picture in the newspaper "Idiot diver takes protected blacksea bass to harbor " that would be like rear ending a police car drunk

I don't shot if I'm not sure when it comes to what kind of fish I may be shooting. Size may be a bit more questionable for me. I can pretty accurately gauge a lobsters size by eyeing it up, but have come to find that I'm not equally as good when it comes to doing the same with fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom