mask aging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spartakus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
could someone comment on whether masks age: how frequently do people change masks, does the plastic eventually get too soft and does not seal well?
The reason I am asking: my wife wants to install corrective lenses on her mask, and we are debating whether to buy a new mask or install them on the old (which is 5 years old).
Thanks

I have a long engineering history and scuba history and I feel this is a very good question.

I have owned many masks and yes they do change with time. A mask is constructed of a number of different materials and each of these materials are affected by time, different physical elements, environments, and conditions.

The physical changes in the materials, in some cases, will cause the mask to fail. The failure I see most is leakage around the lexan faceplate.

Some will last longer than others but the bottom line is, masks are temporary.

Hi,
could someone comment on whether masks age: how frequently do people change masks, does the plastic eventually get too soft and does not seal well?
The reason I am asking: my wife wants to install corrective lenses on her mask, and we are debating whether to buy a new mask or install them on the old (which is 5 years old).
Thanks

Can you even buy that 5 yr old mask now as a new mask?

How much $ is a new/equivalent mask?

How much will the lenses/installation cost ? (and would that cost be the same for the old mask and a new mask?)

The physical changes in the materials, in some cases, will cause the mask to fail. The failure I see most is leakage around the lexan faceplate.

Some will last longer than others but the bottom line is, masks are temporary.

First, most dive masks have a lens made from tempered glass, not Lexan which is a form of plastic trademarked by the DuPont Co. Very few dive masks use plastic lenses.

Second, I have masks that are 40 years old. A silicone skirted mask may discolor but it is entirely possible it could last a lifetime. I think some of today's frameless designs like the Atomic may be "forever" masks.

However, given the investment, a new mask might be in order, just to start fresh and maximize your investment.

N

Thanks very much, this is very helpful. I was thinking not that much about the price but about the fit: with the old mask we know it fits, but the new one would not be tested before we buy the lense. Of course she could buy the mask, take a plunge in the pool, make sure she comfortable with it, and then install the lense. That's probably the right decision.

I would suggest that you buy two new masks under the circumstances. Prescription lenses are expensive and you will probably want to make sure you have a spare to change the lenses into in the event of a mishap.

Masks can and do last a long time .. long enough that it may be impossible to find replacement parts to fit at a later date. Been there done that... now we buy two for the person that needs the corrective lenses.

Nothing worse than missing out on the visual experience on a dive trip because it isn't possible to get the "right mask" to fit the lenses!

Back
Top Bottom