older Vyper question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuimc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got an older suunto vyper(black), but it does not have user selectable units. how to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius?

@LowVizWiz: I realize that you think the OP should just RTFM...but his problem might be more complicated than that.

@cuimc: I had the opposite problem. I bought a used Vyper and wanted to switch the units from metric to imperial. Unfortunately, the Vyper unit did not have menus that allowed user-selectable units. Believe me, I downloaded every Vyper manual I could get my hands on. It was clear that some early Vyper units were sold as either metric OR imperial and were sold only in specific markets throughout the world (imperial in UK/USA, metric everywhere else).

I contacted Suunto with my problem. A Suunto representative in North America told me that they would have to send the computer to Finland. That would be a very expensive fix -- probably would have been cheaper just to buy another computer. I contacted Suunto Finland directly and got the same response. I requested that they send me whatever software package would allow changing the units. I was told that no such software existed and that a Suunto technician had to make the change manually. I was frustrated. Suunto customer service had not been helpful at all.

I already owned a Suunto PC download cable with serial-to-USB adapter...so I thought that if I could find the proper software, then I could make the change. I did some research online and found the Liquid Image Photo site that hosted several downloadable Suunto Tools. One of them is called "Suunto Communicator." That's what I downloaded and used. I had to experiment with data I/O settings but it eventually worked. I was able to change the units from metric to imperial with the clunky interface. You should be able to make the change, too.

Good luck!

@LowVizWiz: I realize that you think the OP should just RTFM...but his problem might be more complicated than that.

I only assumed he did not have access to the manual or knew where to find it. I was not aware of metric/imperial specific units thanks for pointing that out. I hope that's not the case with the OP's unit.

I only assumed he did not have access to the manual or knew where to find it. I was not aware of metric/imperial specific units thanks for pointing that out. I hope that's not the case with the OP's unit.
I suspect that's the problem that the OP is having. My buddy has a Vyper that has a grey face. His computer can switch back and forth between metic and imperial units with just a few button presses. My Vyper has a teal face and was sold as metric only. It's crazy. The menu option that allows selection of units just simply wasn't there. I suspect that the OP's Vyper (with black face) was sold as imperial only.

Unfortunately, in order to change the setting, the OP will have to purchase a Suunto PC download cable. Hopefully he'll post back to let us know if he was successful. Considering his low post count, I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. Too bad really.

I got an older suunto vyper(black), but it does not have user selectable units. how to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius?

I bought a used Vyper from a guy who was a diver working on a cruise ship. He sold the computer, drysuit and bunch of mis. gear.

Checked the computer it was metric. This unit was apparently a European model? There was no way to change from standard to metric. Followed the manual but could not change the mode. You may have the same problem.

I bought a used Vyper from a guy who was a diver working on a cruise ship. He sold the computer, drysuit and bunch of mis. gear.

Checked the computer it was metric. This unit was apparently a European model? There was no way to change from standard to metric. Followed the manual but could not change the mode. You may have the same problem.
@Jim Baldwin: You should read the info in Post #3 of this thread. Try it out and let us know if it works.

This is Suunto BS.

Liquid Image Photo

This program will let you set the units by software. You will need the cable unfortunatly.
If you know someone with one, it is a one time change.

Like the Gekko download thing - it's a single bit in the user memory. Suunto just left the user settable option out of the older versions of firmware.
@hdugan: Did you read my entire post (Post #3 in this thread) before responding?

Back
Top Bottom