After the No-See-Ums bite you... what then? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : After the No-See-Ums bite you... what then?

Sponsored Link
Doc
February 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
After the No-Se-Ums (Sand Flies) have bitten you there are any number of tried remedies including Benadryl Lotion and Cactus Juice.

Until you have tried NASONEX, you don't know the miracle.

Oh man, dab some of this on the spot and Praise the Lord. :cool2: They also make it in an actual skin creme version called Elocon (Elocom, Elomet)

Nothing has worked better. You are going to need a scrip, however.

CheddarChick
February 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Sweet..wonder if it works on mosquitos also?

Papa_Bear
February 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Take a Anti-histamine it will stop the itching in 20 minutes! Cactus Juice never works for me! I agree about the Benadryl Lotion, also Cortazone Cream works well too! Brand of Anti-histamine is not important!

RTBDiver
February 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I just use a good repellant and am often in thicker bush and desolate beach on Roatan than most visitors will ever see and have never needed anti histamine or anti itch anything, prevention is the best option

Chugwhump
February 27th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I am so allergic to no-see-um bites.
I guess these are actually spit drops from the little buggers.
I get huge welts and they burn worse than a lit cigarette touch on my skin for days afterwards if I get hit.
The same goes for the dreaded "Chigger" (I think this is a wood louse).
Skeeters do not seem to like me though.
So Nasonex is worth a try.
I was unaware of the anti-hystamine thing.
Benadryl puts me into dopey la-la land and then to sleep.

Thanks for the tip.

Chug
Hates sand fleas and chiggers.
On the bright side...
I am immune to poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac as near as I can tell.

Doc
February 27th, 2010, 11:11 PM

I was as well until I stood downwind of burning poison ivy. Now I just look at the stuff and whammo.

Nasonex is a powerful corticosteroid. That's how it works... on the bites, too.

I am talking absolutely INSTANT relief.

cfelliot
February 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Awesome! I have a prescription for it and will give it a try in April! :)

What do you do spray in your hand and then spread it around???

Doc
February 28th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Try dribbling it on a Q-Tip and just dab the welt.

diverken374
March 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I am so allergic to no-see-um bites.
I guess these are actually spit drops from the little buggers.
I get huge welts and they burn worse than a lit cigarette touch on my skin for days afterwards if I get hit.
The same goes for the dreaded "Chigger" (I think this is a wood louse).
Skeeters do not seem to like me though.
So Nasonex is worth a try.
I was unaware of the anti-hystamine thing.
Benadryl puts me into dopey la-la land and then to sleep.

Thanks for the tip.

Chug
Hates sand fleas and chiggers.
On the bright side...

Some of us react much more than others to certain insect bites. I live in "Northern Canada" and reacted dramatically to the black flies here. This does not mean that you are allergic to them, just more sensitive.
The basics are #1 prevention of bites..cover up or use a "bug" spray We all have a favourite mine is Cutter's Advanced although not available in Canada.
#2 Anti histamines are very helpful however do not understand why any one would take benadryl with it's sedative properties. Reactine for example is much more effective without the sedating effects and works much better if taken prophylactly ( before bites) then after. Topical benadryl will give some relief but not that effective after the fact.
#3 Nasonex is a steroid used for allergic rhinitis. It is very effective for that use however is expensive. Any of the topical steroids are effective at relieving histamine reactions from insect bites however theoritically could reduce the body's reaction to a secondary infection as a result of an insect bite. Nasonex is not approved for treatment of insect bites ie: this is an off label use of this medication

swimbody
March 4th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I was as well until I stood downwind of burning poison ivy. Now I just look at the stuff and whammo.

Speaking of Poison Ivy, anyone have a miracle cure for contact out in the garden. I'm like RoatanMan, I even sniff it in the air and I can end up in the hospital. Damn Nordic genes of mine have no built in defense. :D

texas-buzzard
March 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I use Flonase on a regular basis for my allergies, i will try that if i get bit. The no-seeums never really bothered me when i was at CCV 3 yrs. ago. I guess i taste like crap to them.

robint
March 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
RoatanMan - Cactus Juice is used BEFORE they bite, not after. It is not a cure, it is a preventative! ;)

georoc01
March 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM
RoatanMan - Cactus Juice is used BEFORE they bite, not after. It is not a cure, it is a preventative! ;)

Depends which product. When I bought mine, I received a 3 pack that includes their miracle Gel. From their website..

Does your skin need help? Cactus Juice™ Miracle Gel is a clear cactus-based gel made with the natural plant derivative of the Prickly Pear Cactus. Miracle Gel is fantastic for soothing sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy, & other skin irritations caused by being outside. Prickly Pear Cactus extract also moisturizes and rehydrates everyday dry skin. Silky-smooth, clear gel. 8 oz. bottle. Unscented.
http://cactusjuicetm.com/images/ye09gree153arrow08.png learn more about this product (http://cactusjuicetm.com/products.php#) [close] (http://cactusjuicetm.com/products.php#) Cactus Juice™ Miracle Gel is a clear cactus based gel made with the natural plant derivative of the Englamanii Opuntia, Prickly Pear Cactus. The Prickly Pear Cactus has been used for generations by Native Americans for its soothing properties. Miracle Gel is a naturally comforting, moisturizing gel which rehydrates the skin when used daily. It is extremely effective for soothing sunburn, insect bites, Jellyfish stings, skin rashes and other minor skin irritants. We have finally "rediscovered" the Prickly Pear Cactus for modern uses. All Cactus Juice products are safe for kids! (under 6 months old consult your physician)

Available in 8 oz

cruiser
March 4th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks, RoatanMan. I'll be taking some Nasonex with me for dive camp this year. I only got a few bites last year but they sure itched and then they got scratched and, well, you know the rest of the story :)

RTBDiver
March 4th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Actually in North America it cannot even be sold as a preventative for bugs as then it would be required to go through epa testing, this is why the "insect repellant" part of the label is just a small sticker and not incorperated into the label

robint
March 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Actually in North America it cannot even be sold as a preventative for bugs as then it would be required to go through epa testing, this is why the "insect repellant" part of the label is just a small sticker and not incorperated into the label

yep. But it does work very well for a preventative, as long as you apply it (not the gel ;)) early and often. When we used the spray immediately after diving and re-applied about 3-4 hours later, we didn't get a single bite. The times we didn't apply, ouch! those little monster hurt!

j_spot
March 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I am currently covered in bites after forgetting to apply bug spray while at Sundowners for the UFC fight on Saturday.

What would be my best bet to get some relief (Im in west end) - Head over to the pharmacy by the gas station and get something there? I speak/read zero spanish so the labels at Woody's and the Coconut tree store might as well be greek to me.

WOODMAN
March 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Haven't been down there (yet!) so I can't say from experience, but we got badly bitten while down in Providencia recently, which is pretty close to where you are, so I assume the problem is similar. Anyhoo, we found topical Benadryl gel to work well in soothing the aftermath, and I have heard good things about Cactus Juice gel also. A standard topical hydrocortisone preparation should help as well. Look for the strongest concentration you can get, and use it sparingly. A little goes a long way. I am intrigued with the Nasonex idea, but that won't help you much, as it requires advance planning. I will talk to my physician friends and look into this, as I am now planning a long-overdue trip to the Bay islands. I wish you well, my friend. Woody

Robertcrockett
March 30th, 2010, 12:49 AM
After the No-Se-Ums (Sand Flies) have bitten you there are any number of tried remedies including Benadryl Lotion and Cactus Juice.

Until you have tried NASONEX, you don't know the miracle.

:confused:Ur kidding me!...I always have nasonex at the house..who would have thunk it...it will be in my bag for sure...beside the deet, duct tape and nylon cord.

robint
March 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I am currently covered in bites after forgetting to apply bug spray while at Sundowners for the UFC fight on Saturday.

What would be my best bet to get some relief (Im in west end) - Head over to the pharmacy by the gas station and get something there? I speak/read zero spanish so the labels at Woody's and the Coconut tree store might as well be greek to me.

there is a Benadryl spray that works great for taking away the itch, but honestly the worst part is making sure you don't scratch and get the bites scabby. They can get infected, too.

RTBDiver
March 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Just ask whoever is working either at the pharmacy or other store.This one is really pretty simple even if they don't speak english, Hand signals work great, point at the red spot, make itching motion, point to drug shelf.

leadweight
April 1st, 2010, 01:19 AM
Don't scratch and the itching sensation goes away after about 20 minutes. The alternative is certain death.

Abaco24
April 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM
Old South GA remedy for no-see-ums, take a laundry softener dryer sheet and rub it all over your neck, ears, and face. NOSUM's will not mess with you. Sometimes it just pays to be Southern.

You most likely got bit by mosquitoes if they left a mark, NOSEUMs just bite ya and leave no mark. Then again any insect bite might leave a mark on a new Yankee down South, we're just used to it.

RTBDiver
April 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Old South GA remedy for no-see-ums, take a laundry softener dryer sheet and rub it all over your neck, ears, and face. NOSUM's will not mess with you. Sometimes it just pays to be Southern. Maybe those Georgia no seeums are just not as smart and easilly fooled as the ones I encounter in Florida and Roatan seem to enjoy taking in the fresh laundry smell

You most likely got bit by mosquitoes if they left a mark, NOSEUMs just bite ya and leave no mark. Then again any insect bite might leave a mark on a new Yankee down South, we're just used to it.
Ho Hummmmmm,
The dryer sheet may work for some, just as deet, cactus juice, skin so soft and many other remedies, the facts remain that people are affected differently and nothing works for everyone. deet products are my choice as, for me, they work for sand flies/noseeums as well as disease carrying mosquitoes.
As far as leaving a mark or not, you obviously have not been to Roatan. Again, everyone is different, Some get no mark at all then there are some that get rather large welts of various colors, and everything in between.

RTBDiver
June 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM

So, did you ever do your Dm Training? So many such as yourself are so into posting and asking all the questions ahead of time but them never fill in the details. What are the new DM numbers up to these days?

lulubelle
June 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'm confused. Why would Nasonex be more effective than a topical steroid cream? Certainly there are topical steroid creams which are less expensive.

To me the recipe has always been an oral antihistamine (topical creams are worthless), topical steroid if needed, and if the reaction is severe enough, oral steroids. Been the same for a million years.

Speaking of mosquitoes. I had my Nephew, 5, watching part of "Sharkwater" with me. We stopped before they got into the finning. He now proudly tells all of his friends that the animal that is the most dangerous to people is....the mosquito. Building a future shark diving buddy :)

Glad you posted, I will be adding some steroid cream and oral prednisone to my dive pharmacy for fall trips.

k8brandt
June 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Of course some (me) will swear by heavy doses of Vitamin B complex. It works for the noseeums, but not mosquitoes.

seahorsey
June 14th, 2010, 01:26 AM
THAT's it! I was so happy that this time I didn't get NEARLY as big welts and the massive itching that marred my previous two stays in Roatan - but this time, I was taking double doses B complex. I just took it for the IDC course brain overload. And reaped unexpected fringe benefits in having less Roatan Leper Look! Another mystery solved. Thanks!

J-spot, my best itching remedy is really hot water. I tried it after I learned that it is the remedy of choice for lion fish stings. Exquisite agony for two minutes or so, it feels -AHHHH- just like scratching them, then you feel the sensation fade away and they stay itchless for half a day to a day at least. Worked MARKEDLY better than
Lavender oil
Lemon oil
After-Bite
Vicks
Witch Hazel
Cortisone cream
spit
aloe vera.
All of which I had tried.

LynnB
June 14th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Old South GA remedy for no-see-ums, take a laundry softener dryer sheet and rub it all over your neck, ears, and face. NOSUM's will not mess with you. Sometimes it just pays to be Southern.

Haha Hear you on that one. I am from Savannah and the sand gnats here are horrible..did't think about taking those to Roatan before but I will pack them for next month....
Thanks
Lynn

kixy1
June 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I'm heading down to CCV in August... a bit worried about the bugs (I welt up if a bug looks at me crosseyed!) so thanks for all the suggestions!

My prevention plan is to bath myself regularly in Cactus Juice and top off with the deadliest concentration of Deet I can buy (good think I'm not having any more kids!;). I'm also going to load up on Vit B, can't hurt.

For after the fact... does anyone find that Benedryl is better than something like Claritin? I'll be sure not to forget topical cortisone AND I'm definitely going to add some Nasonex to my kit! Athough I have Flonase around here...I wonder what the difference is?

I suppose if all else fails, I just stay in the water :) They can't get me there and my wetsuit will keep me from scratching them raw.

I can not wait to be in the warm water!!

cyberfed
October 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I'm no doctor, so take my advice at your own risk.

But I was bitten big time by no-see-ums. Two weeks later they are still itchy as hell, some have begun to dry up. I admit that I did scratch them like mad especially in my sleep.
I have tried using the benedril spray and gel, but that only works for a very short time.
Benedril pills work a little longer about 2-3 hours but they make me drowsy as all heck.
1% cortisone again works but not great and doesnt last long.
Calamine lotion is basically useless.

My magic cure:
Lamasil - the athletes foot cream. Instant lasting relief!

Hope it works for you!!! Oh and remember my first sentence I posted!

KY_BOB
October 10th, 2013, 08:56 PM
They didn't even itch while I was in Roatan. After week a week at home, they itch like a SOB. Oh well, it was worth it. Everytime I scratch, it remindes me of a good vacation. Just a different way of looking at it.

chillyinCanada
October 10th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I'm still confused about the Nazonex recommendation. I understand that there is a steroid in it but assumed it was target specific (nasal passages). So? Does it work on the bites by spraying it in your nose or do you drip some onto the itch?

Doc
October 11th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I'm still confused about the Nazonex recommendation. I understand that there is a steroid in it but assumed it was target specific (nasal passages). So? Does it work on the bites by spraying it in your nose or do you drip some onto the itch?

You can q-tip dab it on to the bite. The way-more cost effective method is:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/group%20images/DSCF3030.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/media/group%20images/DSCF3030.jpg.html)

Benadryl, as stated above, makes people drowsy and lets you snooze thru that afternoon dive :(

This steroidal ointment is a highly localized application. Not sure why you would ingest a systemic prophylaxis (Benadryl, etc) in advance of a bite. If you take it after a bite, the desired effect may kick-in after 24 hours.

The great thing about our message boards is that is open to all great suggestions and ideas. I do, however, absolutely know that this cream is perfectly and instantly effective. I have tried it myself and on 30+ other itching, scratching SCUBA divers.

The no-see-um bite that shows itself days after your return home? It may be a bug you brought in your luggage or clothing. Do not ignore these after-trip naggers... the bites can still become horribly infected if you open the skin... they can even go bad if you leave them alone. This is nothing short of serious.

Again, I know that the Fluocinonide Cream works. Rub garlic on yourself and hop on one foot, if you feel that might work.

webjr
October 17th, 2013, 01:19 PM
An unusual observation... we were at cocoview a month ago and by the end of the week I noticed another guest looked like he'd been devoured! I didn't have a single bite! We had taken some kind of spray with us but I never used it. The only thing that I can think of is the old myth(maybe not so mythical) about eating lots of garlic. I drown everything in garlic and onions...Yummy! Eat more Italian! and you may not have to worry about what to use after.

Thook
December 22nd, 2013, 10:27 AM
#1 Poision Ivy pre-exposure protection... "Ivy Block" Sold at most drug stores.\
post-exposure... Wash contaminated area with soap and water as quickly as possible.
If your directly exposed and allergic in 30-45 minutes the skin will begin to react to ivy oils

#2 Biting creatures and no-seeums... "Skin So Soft- Expedition Bug Guard"

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1