Two questions regarding mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hay all:

A couple of questions regarding my mask.

1. When Doing multiple dives over multiple days (basically wearing my mask for a long time), I get what I can only describe as a red rash where the mask touches my face...particular on my nose. I've noticed it more in salt water than fresh...but I am only wondering if that is because my dives in salt water tend to be longer than in fresh water. My question is...could this be an allergy to the silicon in the mask skirt? How could I be sure and what could i do about it? It is red and slightly painful and clears up usually within a day. Or could it just be irritation from the salt?

Secondly, my mask is a full window, because when I bought it I only tried standard masks (not low volume) and I didn't like the split between the eye pieces. Now I am considering going with a low volume mask and would like some advice on what brands to check out. My thinking is that with the lenses being closer to my eyes, I won't mind the split between the lenses as much. With the full lens mask, I have trouble looking down, because the field of vision is restricted.

As an aside, I might also be considering prescription lenses...my eyesight isn't that bad...but is bad enough so that I notice a difference when diving/not wearing glasses. Is there a mask that you'd recommend if prescription lenses is a consideration.

Thanks;

John

Hay all:

A couple of questions regarding my mask.

1. When Doing multiple dives over multiple days (basically wearing my mask for a long time), I get what I can only describe as a red rash where the mask touches my face...particular on my nose. I've noticed it more in salt water than fresh...but I am only wondering if that is because my dives in salt water tend to be longer than in fresh water. My question is...could this be an allergy to the silicon in the mask skirt? How could I be sure and what could i do about it? It is red and slightly painful and clears up usually within a day. Or could it just be irritation from the salt?

Secondly, my mask is a full window, because when I bought it I only tried standard masks (not low volume) and I didn't like the split between the eye pieces. Now I am considering going with a low volume mask and would like some advice on what brands to check out. My thinking is that with the lenses being closer to my eyes, I won't mind the split between the lenses as much. With the full lens mask, I have trouble looking down, because the field of vision is restricted.

As an aside, I might also be considering prescription lenses...my eyesight isn't that bad...but is bad enough so that I notice a difference when diving/not wearing glasses. Is there a mask that you'd recommend if prescription lenses is a consideration.

Thanks;

John

Not sure why you're drawing a distinction between "full lens" and "low volume" masks.

Here's a single lens, low volume mask that happens to have the widest field of view - horizontally and vertically - of any mask on the market. You can read my mini-review at the bottom of the page in the link.

Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

I am NOT a doctor so you know what that means :idk:, but it sounds like this may be a latex allergy. Symptoms of Type IV latex allergy reportedly can include red itchy scaly rash. In the usual case of latex gloves (ie, health workers) it is normally localised to the area of use, i.e. wrists and forearms with glove use, but it can spread to other areas. I think that most masks have latex. I suggest you do a search on the Dive Medicine forum here on SB and also take a look at Scuba Doc's Dive Medicine site. Scubadoc's Diving Medicine
Perhaps TSandM will weigh in on this.

I have no comment or suggestions on your other questions. Good luck.

Some people are allergic to neoprene rubber or latex rubber, however, most masks today are made from hypoallergenic silicone rubber not neoprene or latex. If you get a rash, it could be bacteria, or simply friction or pressure and resulting tissue irritation.

N

When you say "where your mask touches your nose" are you talking about internal contact or at the contact line just below the nose.

It's worth noting that many divers get coral burns on their face or upper lip because they touch the bottom/reef with their fingers and then transfer itchy stuff to their face or lips while equalising or mask clearing.
I always take care to avoid any contact with my face if I need to pinch my nose to equalise, especially when wreck diving where finger contact with the surroundings is more common.

Not sure why you're drawing a distinction between "full lens" and "low volume" masks.

Here's a single lens, low volume mask that happens to have the widest field of view - horizontally and vertically - of any mask on the market. You can read my mini-review at the bottom of the page in the link.

Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

Nice looking mask...I'll check this out. This is what I think I am looking for.

Thanks;

John

When you say "where your mask touches your nose" are you talking about internal contact or at the contact line just below the nose.

It's worth noting that many divers get coral burns on their face or upper lip because they touch the bottom/reef with their fingers and then transfer itchy stuff to their face or lips while equalising or mask clearing.
I always take care to avoid any contact with my face if I need to pinch my nose to equalise, especially when wreck diving where finger contact with the surroundings is more common.

Mike:

when I am talking about where it touches my nose...it is really from the bridge of the nose to the tip of my hose, if that makes sense.

I understand what you are saying about "coral burns" because when diving recently, I was only doing a short dive in warm water and decided to "not" wear a wetsuit...mistake. Accidentally brushed against something (not sure what) with my upper arm and ended up with a rash and itch for a couple of days...but this is different...because by nose is covered by the mask...I wear gloves always and it happens all the time no matter if I touch my face after diving or not.

I was speculating allergic reaction to material skirt is made out of...but I don't know if I get the rash when in freshwater (I never made the distinction between getting the rash/not getting the rash and diving in fresh/salt water). I don't get the rash around the side of my face there the mask touches...not sure if I get it on my forehead or not because I normally have dry skin on my forehead...especially in the winter. Which is now making me wonder if it is just a salt irritation, from the salt drying inside the mask between dives.

Gee...guess I'll just have to dive more...

John

Back
Top Bottom