Questions about storage pockets and lift bags...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
If you have it, do you always dive with a lift bag? I have had several discussions lately with my buddy about diving every dive with a lift bag even if you don’t think you will have a need for it. The lift bag in question fits securely in the halcyon pack behind the backplate so it isn’t an issue of it getting in the way, just with taking it out and cleaning it after every dive. I know there is a “what if I need it?” factor but I am trying to decide what to do with gear consolidation and unnecessary steps. Just looking for what you practice.

Also, do you know of any different storage pockets that fit on the webbing at the waist? I where a wetsuit (and let me say, I am not attaching a hokey pocket to the leg of my suit by glue or stick that will ultimately damage my suit or look like a kindergartener attached it) so I don’t have a leg pocket and the halcyon storage pocket from EE, as far as I know they have only the one, takes up almost my entire waistline from the plate to the buckle. I have approximately 21 inches total to work with. Any suggestions? R

I carry my SMB every dive. I typicaly shoot it every dive aswell, even if I don't need it for the pratice and taskloading pratice.

I do dive in freshwater however, so cleaning in not an issue.

I made a large belt pocket last year. I used an old, retired backpack and cut the small, outer pocket off of it. Then attached some belt loops. It was functional, but less than ideal.

Hey,

I usually make sure at least one diver in my team is carrying a lift bag with them in case we need it. I don't have the storage pack, but just tuck the lift bag between me and my bp.

As far as the pockets go, I sewed mine on and so did a bunch of my buddies and they all look very professional. Next time you are down here I will show you mine, and if you want I can sew one on your suit for you. I use the dive rite thigh pocket minus all the attachment stuff it came with.

Wendy once bubbled...
Hey,

I usually make sure at least one diver in my team is carrying a lift bag with them in case we need it. I don't have the storage pack, but just tuck the lift bag between me and my bp.

As far as the pockets go, I sewed mine on and so did a bunch of my buddies and they all look very professional. Next time you are down here I will show you mine, and if you want I can sew one on your suit for you. I use the dive rite thigh pocket minus all the attachment stuff it came with.

Yeah, SJ usually takes his lift bag, and I don't to have one with me, and on deep dives it almost always gets used but for drift dives that's another issue. And, we are mostly diving in salt water so clean up is really important.

I would love to check yours out. I have seen some that look terrible. I could probably use the halcyon pocket like you did, but I am afraid that it is going to turn out a mess. I have also thought about attaching it to a strap and strapping it to my leg but I would need to work a strap that doesn't use velcro.

Raven,

Size of the pocket depends on what you want to put in it. One thing to try is this, head to any outdoor sporting goods store, surplus store, place where they sell rifles and ammunition. Looking at where you're located, there should be one or two around there! Pick up a black nylon M-16 magazine pouch. Discard the metal clips on the back. It ties on nicely with black bungee cord. It won't be either too wide or too long for your waist measurement, and it will hold one of the large Halcyon safety sausage SMBs or similar gear.

Inexpensive and may meet your need. Worth a try.

I take the Halcyon liftbag in the backplate pouch, as well as a seperate safety-sausage, every dive. There's many dives where the liftbag would not be required, but if you start leaving it out for different dives, Murphy sez eventually you're going to leave it out for a dive where you are *really* going to need it, you'll reach back, and the pouch will be empty. A safety-sausage should be required equipment on *any* open water dive - even "weenie" shore dives.

Cleanup is a bit extra work, but it's worth it IMO.

I don't have a pocket on my wetsuit when I dive wet (always in singles, no sling tanks), but that's what bolt snaps are for. I'll clip off a safety-sausage, spool with a bungee loop over it to stop it accidently unravelling, and maybe a strobe if it's an afternoon or evening dive, to my left hip D-ring. Not ideal, but my wetsuit is at a point where any pocket I attached would outlast it.

These are good ideas to explore.

Subaroo, I was thinking along the same lines as you with the lift bag. I am afraid that if I don't start taking one on every dive that I will not have one when I need it.

Question though, have you had a spool unravel even with the clip in it. I have heard of that happening a few times. Is this a situation where the spool just wasn't clipped off right?

I was thinking of keeping the sausage in the pocket instead of the rear D ring but I like the idea of the sausage on the rear D ring. Of couse that is for the spool. Hum.

What do you mean that the rear d-ring is for the spool? I keep my spool in my pocket. Or are you just keeping your spool there til you get a pocket?

Wendy once bubbled...
What do you mean that the rear d-ring is for the spool? I keep my spool in my pocket. Or are you just keeping your spool there til you get a pocket?

Exactly.

Right now, I can't wear a pocket because there isn't room on my waist webbing. When SJ and I put my rig together the pocket took all the room from the plate to the buckle. I don't dive with a pocket right now because I haven't figured it all out. LOL

I dive with a minimum of accessories because I don't have the luxury storage space. HaHaHa. Honestly, I have a small soft catch bag that I tuck into the bands that hold my scout lights on the webbing in front because I can't stand things handing and dangling off and I don't have room for the pocket. The bands hold it in place well but I would like to make other arrangements. This weekend I am going to look at the pocket again and see what I can figure out. I really and curious as to how you have attached yours. I was afraid that stiches would make holes in my wetsuit and I don't want to glue it on.

RavenC once bubbled...

Exactly.

Right now, I can't wear a pocket because there isn't room on my waist webbing. When SJ and I put my rig together the pocket took all the room from the plate to the buckle. I don't dive with a pocket right now because I haven't figured it all out. LOL

I dive with a minimum of accessories because I don't have the luxury storage space. HaHaHa. Honestly, I have a small soft catch bag that I tuck into the bands that hold my scout lights on the webbing in front because I can't stand things handing and dangling off and I don't have room for the pocket. The bands hold it in place well but I would like to make other arrangements. This weekend I am going to look at the pocket again and see what I can figure out. I really and curious as to how you have attached yours. I was afraid that stiches would make holes in my wetsuit and I don't want to glue it on.

Stitching your wetsuit is fine, after all isn't that how they put it together when they made it?

You have your scout lights in a pouch. If you have them clipped off to your shoulder d-rings and held in place by soem bungee or inner tube it will keep them from hanging and dangling.

Back
Top Bottom