Best Full Foot Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering purchasing full foot fins for boat diving. Does anyone have a preference, and if so, why? I see that the Mares Avanti Superchannels are highly rated. Those that are using full foot fins, are you using nylon socks or neopreme one? Thank you.

I am considering purchasing full foot fins for boat diving. Does anyone have a preference, and if so, why? I see that the Mares Avanti Superchannels are highly rated. Those that are using full foot fins, are you using nylon socks or neopreme one? Thank you.

That's exactly the fin I use for vacation boat diving and I'm very happy with them. Inexpensive too. I just use my bare feet.

Did you find that they were true to size? I have heard that they run a little big.

Mares Volo Race is my preference and they are sized accurately!

Your thread title "Best full-foot fins" begs the questions "best for whom?" and "best for what?" We're all different, with different likes, needs and expectations. The first full-foot fins were Cressi Rondines, invented in Europe by Luigi Ferraro, and this classic design has been endlessly imitated and is a particular favourite of mine:

Rondine Fins | Luigi Ferraro

Fin choice is part scientific and part cultural. I do expect my full-foot fins - and I only wear full-foot fins when I snorkel in the cold water of the North Sea - to complement the gentle style of sculling I now embrace in my 60s. I would expect them to give me extra power, manoeuvrability and endurance, the scientific aspect. However, I also want them to look simple and straightforward with a sleek, classic design. Too many modern full-foot fins look like this:

speedo-8016553921-med.jpg

To me these fins look gimmicky, a dogs' dinner of different materials and a shape that makes them look as if they've been through a mincer and as though their blades have been well gnawed by rodents. I'm sure people will say that such fins are incredibly light for travel use, but why should I let an airline choose what fins I wear? I'd rather stay at home and snorkel in local waters, and that's what I do.

As a traditionalist, I prefer all-rubber full-foot fins in solid colours, with enough blade stiffness to propel me through the waves. Here are some of my favourites:

Gull Hard Mew
800220.jpg

Escualo Clasica
attachment.php

Scubapro Rubber Full Foot Fins
d7905748-ef9a-45e9-8bd0-6fc635ef3fb8-scubapro_fins_full_foot.png

Oceanways Aquapro
214XQ7HNV2L._SS500_.jpg

Balco Sprint
20010562_0.jpg

There are others, but the above are all comfortable, fit for purpose fins from my personal perspective. However, returning to the title of this thread, they're best for me and the kind of snorkelling I do. That doesn't mean that they are best for anybody else or for every kind of water activity. Finding the best full-foot fin is something of an odyssey. It took me a while before I chanced on pairs that match my foot dimensions in terms of width and height as well as length. There are no instant solutions, but the ideal pair of full-foot fins, once discovered by each individual, is a joy forever. I would never go back to open-heels. And to those who say that full-foots can only be worn barefoot, I say "nonsense". The Japanese, who like me prefer all-rubber full-foot fins, wear them with booties. You just have to wear the booties at the time of purchase and select a big enough foot pocket size. Works for me too.

Last edited:
Did you find that they were true to size? I have heard that they run a little big.

My feet are wide and if they are the sizing is just fine, but narrow feet may need the next size smaller.

The Mares Super Channel Full Foots won the last big "Fin Test" competition and even beat the "Big Boys" (Apollo/Atomic Splits) for top speed and thrust. Mares also makes another strong FF fin in the the Quattro Power. You may or may not need a sock depending on the fit. I bought some Henderson microprene .5mm socks to wear with my big Cressi Gara 3000's, (For open ocean snorkeling) but they fit my foot so well I don't even use them. Each foot is different. If the fins are a little loose in the foot pocket, a sock will help a lot.........

It is usually best to wear a neoprene sock with full foot fins to minimize skin irritation from rubbing and to protect feet. I use a minimum 4mm sock for Northern California 48F water temps. A 2mm for warmer water temps. Argos is a good sock that you can walk in and use for other watersport activities. Argos Wetsuit Booties

Fit is all important. I suggest using a sock that fits then trying on the fins. If the Mares' footpocket does not fit or if it is uncomfortable then it is useless.

I have a 20 year fullfoot Mares Plana Avanti that I like. I also use freedive and snorkeling fins - Apollo Uni, Picasso Carbon, Waterways Captain Nemo. Freedive fins are longer, and have a separate footpocket and blade. Check out SCUBAStore.com for ideas.

I prefer the new softer Picasso footpockets because they fit with 4mm socks. The larger Mares footpockets also fits me and are comfortable.

Most modern full foot fins are using a supple material in the foot pocket so that only the most tender of tender foots would need a sock.

I need no sock using my Gara 2000's. There may be a break in period, for both your foot and the fin; if you do not use them often enough to form calluses in the right places then you might need socks, but you would need to get the right size for your foot & the sock.

Volo's, with the holes in them, are very good fins and you can carry a pair with one finger!

The performance difference between the cheapest full foot Avanti and the most expensive full foot Avanti is pretty minimal compared to the cost difference.

Hi,

How can I buy a pair of those Scubapro´s or Gull´s full foot fins. I live in Portugal and they don´t sell here. I can always buy them online, but in wich shop?
Thanks,

Nuno

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom