Tonga: a country in transition and a candidate to help it achieve that

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently received a letter from my Harvard classmate Sione Tupouniua informing me that he is campaigning to become the first democratically elected prime minister of his native country, the Kingdom of Tonga. Tonga is moving from a monarchy to a constitutional monarchy and the prime minister and cabinet members will be elected by the representatives of the people for the first time.

Although I have not seen Sione since we graduated, I know of his character and have followed his career through our class updates over the years. Sione cares deeply for his country and for the many other countries in the Pacific Islands group. He has been an educator and advisor throughout the region.

Since global climate change is not just a distant concept, but potentially a direct threat to his home and to many of the other Pacific Islands, he has an interest in seeking solutions to this global environmental issue. For those of us who are SCUBA divers, Tonga is a destination of great interest both for its coral reefs and notably for the opportunity to experience humpback whales who visit there yearly from July to September.

I am posting a link to his letter of appeal for support in his campaign. I hope my Harvard classmates and other alumni, as well as my avid SCUBA diving friends, will consider ways they can personally support his candidacy for this important position.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom