Galileo Sol BCD Mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaboJim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving with the Sol for about 5 months. I still don't feel comfortable with strapping it to my forearm.
So I have decided to to find a way to clip it to my right shoulder D-Ring on my Knighthawk BCD.
Has anybody come up with an easy way to secure this computer to their BCD?
Any ideas are appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that makes you uncomfortable about wearing it on your forearm?

Before this computer, I always used a console mounted computer.
So its just doesn't feel right to have it mounted on my forearm.
Since no one seems to have any ideas on how to secure this thing to a D-ring, I left the straps on. I then attached a couple of delrin D-Rings to both sides of the straps & buckled it closed.
On 1 end I bungied it to a lower buckle on the BCD, & used a retractor on the other D-ring to attach it to the BCD D-ring(I know I'll hear it about the retractor).
If this works, I will remove the straps & attach a double looped 1.5 " nylon webbing cut to where the straps are attached to the computer. The webbing will have D-Rings sewn in place at each end.

Interesting. I love the convenience of having my computer on my wrist. Just turn my arm to the appropriate angle and I can see everything at a glance instead of reaching down for a console. I learned with consoles and even bought a console when I started diving again (due to cost). Then I upgraded to the Sol and would hate to have to go back.

Is there something specific you don't like about it on the wrist or just habit of having it hooked to the BC?

Before this computer, I always used a console mounted computer.
So its just doesn't feel right to have it mounted on my forearm.
Since no one seems to have any ideas on how to secure this thing to a D-ring, I left the straps on. I then attached a couple of delrin D-Rings to both sides of the straps & buckled it closed.
On 1 end I bungied it to a lower buckle on the BCD, & used a retractor on the other D-ring to attach it to the BCD D-ring(I know I'll hear it about the retractor).
If this works, I will remove the straps & attach a double looped 1.5 " nylon webbing cut to where the straps are attached to the computer. The webbing will have D-Rings sewn in place at each end.

That's similar to what I would have proposed. But don't you think that it's more hassle for nothing gained?

Now you have buckles, straps and whatever to make and then you'd hope that the retractor wouldn't break and you donating a pretty expensive piece of equipment to Davy Jones' lockers. I used to use retractors too until they started breaking on me. Flimsy plastics just don't work well around heavy tanks, boats, car/truck, etc.

Of course you can use bolt snaps and heavy lanyard cords to secure your Galileo to your BC and not worrying about retractors breaking. However, now you have a computer that flops around when you dive or heaven forbids, when you try to climb back on the boat, the thing gets caught between you and the swim step.

After trying to come up with a workable BCD mount, I threw in the towel.
I did get the computer to clip onto the BCD, but it swung loosely & I didn't feel confident that the platform would be stable.
So back to the strap & back on the forearm....

Scubapro is coming out with a retractor for the computers, I'veseen it in the 2010 catalog. But I agree with everyone else, I prefer my computer on my wrist. When I switched it from console to wrist, it took a few dive to get used to the information on wrist, but I've never looked back.

I don't know about other people but I wouldn't trust a $2000 piece of equipment to be held securely by a flimsy plastic retractor. Losing a $50 dive light is one thing, losing the SOL is another.

I want to thank you all for your input.
After doing some research, I have to agree with fnfalman, that the Sol was designed to be a wrist mount. I have a friend that I dive frequently with, who mounted his Sol on a modified Cochran boot, & then retracted it to his BC. On a dive a few months ago, his Sol got tangled underwater, & the retractor wire snapped. Luckily, when he noticed it missing, he was able to back track & find the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom