New to Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TightLines

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving off and on for 10 years with a majority of it being done with a guide. Recently I have begun more and more shore diving with just a buddy.

I have used a couple of very basic computers for the sole purpose of tracking bottom time over multiple dives and am now looking to get one of my own.

I am looking for a wrist mounted computer (not air integrated because I still don't understand its necessity) that is:

1) NITROX compatible
2) Has a battery that I can change
3) Has an audible alarm
4) Does not use an overly conservative algorithm
5) Is reasonably sized

Could you guys give me a little insight (or just links if necessary) as to which computers tend to be less conservative than others?

Also, are there any other major features that I have not mentioned (ie overlooked)?

Thanks for all the help with what I am sure is somewhat repetitive question but unfortunately I couldn't drum up exactly what I needed in a search.

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the Oceanic VT3? I think it meets your criteria, and there is an option to buy a wireless transmitter if you ever want one (I'm assuming you can buy it without the transmitter). The battery can be changed. It's wrist mounted. I don't really follow the market closely; this is the one I use.

Richard.

I'd suggest one of the Oceanics too. The Aladin Tec 2g would be another choice.

+1 on the Uwatec Tec 2G. It is a very capable 2 gas nitrox computer for around $420 retail in a wrist mount and Deep Sea Supply makes a great wrist mount for it. It also has very good log and download software that comes with it at no extra charge and you can download it with a $10 IR dongle.

It also has 4 or 5 levels of conservatism.

Last edited:
for me, a real good & cheap one is the Veo 180------less than 200....They DC'ed them a while back but who cares.....used mine for almost 3 years witout a hitch(except had to change batteries twice, no big deal).....

There are more computers that fit such criteria than one can shake a stick at.

Oceanic has a bunch, Suunto has a bunch, Mares, Dive Rite, Zeagle, Aeris, Sherwood, ad nauseaum.

Can anyone give me a better idea of which makes are more or less conservative than others?

Can anyone give me a better idea of which makes are more or less conservative than others?

... and here another instantiation of the same table .... promoting dual algorithm approach - that lets you decide how conservative you want to dive.

By the way, why are you looking for a dive computer "less conservative than others"

Alberto (aka eDiver)

They are very nice computers, but Suunto & Uwatec are probably your most conservative. The new Oceanic's have a Dual Algorithm (one conservative, one not) feature. We have a lot of divers using the Oceanic's, and love them. For keeping it on a budget, my choices for you are:
VEO 3.0 - 2 Gas
VEO 3.0 Wrist Computers *Buy Oceanic at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47
VEO 2.0 - 1 Gas
VEO 2.0 Wrist Computers *Buy Oceanic at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

There are other price options as well.
Give me a call if I can help you out with this.

Back
Top Bottom