Big question - dive Dohab, El Quser or Mars Alam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadabingM3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Been off the forum since last summer. Starting to plan my next dive trip this summer! I'm looking for a resort that is relaxing, away from the husle and mess of tourism and diving that'll be worth every penny.

My choices are Dahab, El Quser, Hurghada, Ras Mohamed or Marsa Alam. I've heard sharm diving isn't worth it compared to these places so I want all your opinions on these areas. Thanks for all your help.

Rob

Last edited:
If you want relaxation then Dahab is for you. (Note: I work in Sharm :D )

If you've been told sharm diving is not worth it then you have been incorrectly informed! Ras Mohamed, for example, is in Sharm El Sheikh and there is no resort there since it is a national park. Trips to Ras Mohamed can be arranged from Hurgada and Marsa Alam, but they are on the Egyptian mainland coast, wherease Ras Mohamed (from Sharm) and Dahab are on the Eastern coast of the Sinai Peninsula.

Sharm diving is spectacular, although in high season it does get very busy, which may well be why your information about the place is poor. Hurghada is equally busy and I am not a huge fan of the place itself although I did dive a few times in El Gouna, which was quite quiet but I haven't been there for 6 years.... I personally think the diving, when it's good, is much better out of Sharm that Hurghada anyway.

Have a look at Dahab if you want relaxation. As always, am happy to give info on my company in private, as I am representing myself on here, not them. PM for info.

Cheers

C.

If you want relaxation, then discard both Sharm and Hurghada.

As Crowley said, Ras Mohamed is within Sharm El Sheikh's diving areas. It's only 10 KM from Sharm and is easily doable by daily boat.

Considering the other places, in Dahab you'll relax, dive, and have other activities (restaurants, cafeterias, etc...), whereas in Quesir and Marsa Alam you will be always in your resort, since there's nothing else to do.

With that, what resorts & dive shops do you all suggest for Dahab? I'm looking at the Nesima Resort as the prices/accomadations/dive shop seem good. What do you all think, experianced? Thanks,

Rob

Try a place called Marsa Shagra near Marsa Alam, by Oonas divers. Its fabulous. You can stay in a tent on the beach or have an air-conditioned cabin with ensuite. It is all inclusive and the diving is unlimited from the shore plus you get two truck dives a day. You can use the ribs to do far shore dives as well. The food is great, the diving superb. You can also dive Elphinstone, although there is an additional charge for this. This is a holiday primarily for diving, great with a buddy or as a single diver. The staff are some of the best I have ever dived with, very competent yet laid back. Diving there I have seen turtles, eagle rays, reef sharks, an oceanic, dolphins (they will stop the rib and you can snorkel with them!) marble rays, etc, etc.

There are a few good wreck dives, chance to see the dugong, swim through a cave system then finishing your dive in the middle of a host of juvenille baraccuda.

The house reefs ( north and south) are pristine and you can frequently dive and not see another soul, magical!!

Added bonus is the food is great too.

Sorry to whitter on so, but if you want to do loads of diving in a very relaxed and friendly place this is it. Oonas divers will be at the London Dive show at the end of this month or check out their website. No I don't work for them!!:)

Damn I need a holiday....NOW!!

Anyhoo, wherever you choose to go, enjoy!!

If you've been told sharm diving is not worth it then you have been incorrectly informed!

Sharm diving is spectacular!
Quite so.The only problem seems to be the crowd!But the diving is great.It's not lesser diving than the much celebrated Sudan for example.But being Sudan done only on liveaboards,it's much less crowded(and much more expensive and a pain in the ass to reach).Sharm still has some of the best sites in the Red Sea IMO.
That said,I'm a Dahab affecionado.I'll be there in a month.Much more relaxed and easy going than Sharm(you can't compare).Sharm is a big town by now,with shopping malls and stuff like that and crowds of Italians and Russians that are not even there for the diving.
The only problem with Dahab is that IMO you need to be tech certified in order to really appreciate its sites.But that's just my very personal opinion.
In other words,Sharm has better dive sites for the so called "recreational" diver(mind,I don't like to split divers in those "tech" and "rec" categories).In Dahab you need to be able to explore the deep canyons and cracks to really enjoy it.

Both Dahab and Marsa Alam are relaxed and quiet.

Dahab is a funky little town with dive shops, small hotels and restaurants clustered right on the water. The surrounding environment on the Sinai peninsula is quite spectacular...red desert mountains coming almost right to the edge of the sea in some places. You can climb Mt. Sinai, see St. Catherine's monastery, go quad biking in the desert, etc.

You won't spend time in the town of Marsa Alam as it is not on the water and there is not much to see. You will stay in a resort...depending on the resort you will be more isolated...just the resort and the surrounding desert. There are many classes of resort, from large all inclusives to "eco lodges" with tents and simple standalone huts witout A/C. The one mentioned above at Shagra is probably Red Sea Diving Safari = a great choice if you are looking for simple and quiet. They have a few locations = Shagra is the biggest...I've stayed at Nakari which is VERY quiet, with a decent house reef and a mix of RIB, truck (shore) and larger dayboat divnig. The desert is also starkly beautiful here and there are opportunities to do desert excursions...although there is quite a bit less infrastructure for this than in Dahab.

You can combine either of these with historic touring = in Dahab, you can combine with a trip to Petra in Jordan; in Marsa Alam you can visit Luxor. Both of these are VERY long single day trips often conducted via a cattle herd bus convoys...but both are also incredible historic sites.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom