Are Tusa computers so bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfevg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a computer and was considering buying a TUSA one (probably 750) as my fellow is a local dealer of Tusa. When checking the prices on leisurepro, I noticed that TUSA's are relatively cheap (750 - $400 and 900 - $240).
Are they so bad?

I love mine. Its a large size, has been to 180ft with me, Night diving, and survived air travel. The switching from salt to fresh is a pain and Metric to Imperial but otherwise its a great computer.

The batteries last a loooong time.

heres my review from epinions.com:
Pros: Small size, Big display, Program adjustability, big log, long battery life
Cons: backlight is short, low batt issues (locks out)

The Bottom Line:
On par with the best, a better unit is the Gallielo Terra. Its a good buy, rock solid, and well built and can be found online.

tartullian's Full Review: Tusa DC Sapience "Nitrox" Dive Computer
To understand a Dive comp purchase it is good to understand the diver making the review. Most of my diving is in the evenings after work and roughly in the recreational limits. I dive both fresh and salt water, my average dive is 80ft, average water temp is about 38F, and I dive a dry suit. I have used this Comp in tropical conditions as well.

Overall I am very happy with the Tusa, The software is adjustable to suit the diver, it came with a scratch protector, the band is of good quality, the overall size is small but the buttons remain easy to operate. The battery is long lasting and diver removable. This is key, I dive in the summers several time a week in the winters about once a month and the current battery has lasted two years.

I really enjoy the ability to adjust the safety factor and the option to turn on and off the vibrate function. Vibrate is nice if you are diving in a loud environment (by a dam or in a heavily traveled channel or even with other divers who's comps are always beeping) or with a thick hood.

I should note the switch from Imperial to metric is a bit of a pain but it is not a common change. Some of my buddies dive in meters, I prefer feet.

The one thing I wish this comp allowed for was continuous back-light. In sunny conditions you don't need it but in lakes in the evening its a pain to keep turning on the back-light.

I should also mention that in a low batt situation it will not enter dive mode. I'm not sure this is acceptable. A better response is to just do depth gauge. Mine beeped for a couple dives (on a boat... how would I change the battery?) then it just would not enter dive mode. I would much prefer if it went to gauge mode or turned off the display after surfacing from the last dive on the first sign of a low battery instead of me jumping into the water to find out I have no functions on the comp... no depth.. no nothing... but on first glance it appeard to be working.

the moral of the story? Keep the batteries up and you have an excellent comp.

Last edited:
I'm about to buy a computer and was considering buying a TUSA one (probably 750) as my fellow is a local dealer of Tusa. When checking the prices on leisurepro, I noticed that TUSA's are relatively cheap (750 - $400 and 900 - $240).
Are they so bad?

Short answer is 'NO'.
Longer answer is check other items and you will generally find that Leisure Pro heavily discounts a fairely good amount of merchandise.

The TUSA IQ-700 is the same as the Dive Rite Duo. I believe they are made by Seiko. I love my Duo. I'm sure as with any brand out there, they have good products and bad products.

i liek the tusa zen...

as it is (as has been stated) the same as the Nitek Duo, and the Zeagle N2ition ... looks like it can be had for under $300... if they're of any kind of respectable quality they sound like a good deal.

as it is (as has been stated) the same as the Nitek Duo, and the Zeagle N2ition ... looks like it can be had for under $300... if they're of any kind of respectable quality they sound like a good deal.
I understand that you dont know how these models perform?

I understand that you dont know how these models perform?

but I understand their Features yes...

Visual & audio alarms for critical situations
User replaceable battery
Compatible for both air & nitrox (up to a 50% oxygen mix)
Settable PO2 and personal safety input
Safety stop function
No-decompression & decompression dive data both with air & nitrox
Nitrogen absorption and CNS oxygen toxicity display
Up to 30 hours and 60 dives memory
Recorded profiles are manually visible
PC interface
Display backlight
Maximum depth alarm
Dive time alarm

Also that it consistently ranks between 4-5 stars... , I think it qualifies rather well for the "most bang for your buck" award....

The IQ 700 is a rock solid computer. Many of my tech students use one - great air and nitrox computer and can even handle some basic tech diving. I use in gauge mode for my tech dives also.

Back
Top Bottom