d6 or vyper air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mills705

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So they both have similar features and about £100 difference in price. The only difference to me is the fact that the d6 can be worn as a watch once out of the water. And obviously this means that the face of the computer is smaller.
Is this a problem?
I have asked around and people are quite divided on this subject really. I would like your opinions. One other thing, does the d6 have a backlight function like the vyper air?

I have used the vyper air as my dad owns one and found the screen extremely easy to read underwater.

So your opinions which one would you go for?

Depends who u dive with mate. with air integrated if you ahve a good buddy both of you can dive to the limits, but if you are teaching there is no use having air integrated as your students will dictate your dive time and typcially alot shorter then wat you ahve left in your tank!

Well diving is mainly pleasure to be honest! Ive only been diving a short time and loving it. At advanced level and just doing some pleasure before I do any more courses.
The air intergration is something that sways me to the vyper air, however it would come out at 550, instead of 448 just for the d6. Plus I do not mind looking at my spg for the pressure of my tank now I have my own kit set up the way I like it.
My dad also says that due to my age, im 21 I am drawn more towards the look of the kit, the d6 has that watch feature.
I am diving on sunday with people who own a d6, might see if i can meet up at some point and have a look at their d6 underwater. If its legible then I will get one I think.

Frankly get the one which has user replaceable batteries and is big enough that you can operate with your anticipated exposure protection. I believe that means the Vyper.

Those watch style computers don't go too well with big thick gloves and thick wetsuits or dry suits.

Frankly get the one which has user replaceable batteries and is big enough that you can operate with your anticipated exposure protection. I believe that means the Vyper.

Those watch style computers don't go too well with big thick gloves and thick wetsuits or dry suits.

I visited a shop, not my normal one as I was out that way yesterday and they are a much larger outfit for selling things.
I was able to try on a d9 as one of the people in the shop dived with it and found using a pair of 5mm gloves (same thickness as mine) that the buttons were not that difficult to push.

The only other negative I had on the d6 was the size of the face. I have been shown a face protector with slight magnification which to me means it is sorted.
Depending on price I will be getting a d6.

Im diving tomorrow with several people, some own d6/d9 models and will be asking them their opinions.
I have the feeling some people use d6/d9s as watches only!

I visited a shop, not my normal one as I was out that way yesterday and they are a much larger outfit for selling things.
I was able to try on a d9 as one of the people in the shop dived with it and found using a pair of 5mm gloves (same thickness as mine) that the buttons were not that difficult to push.

The only other negative I had on the d6 was the size of the face. I have been shown a face protector with slight magnification which to me means it is sorted.
Depending on price I will be getting a d6.

Im diving tomorrow with several people, some own d6/d9 models and will be asking them their opinions.
I have the feeling some people use d6/d9s as watches only!

I'm pretty sure there are folks who use it as a watch only.

Now you know you can use it with gloves on, how about the battery.

Find out about the time it takes to get the battery replaced. A friend of mine has the old Stinger. Nice computer. She has to send it back to Suunto for service, aka - change the battery. It takes 3-4 weeks.

What you will notice about computers with replaceable vs. non-replaceable batteries, computers that have batteries that you replace need replacement more frequently. Non-replaceable battery models may last a few seasons. Again 6 one way, half dozen the other. I prefer to carry a spare battery in the dive kit and replace it in the field if need be.

thanks chris, you have given me some good info on this.
Alot to think about when buying one.
I need to have a good think about this, unfortunatly the dive tomorrow is cancelled due to sea conditions. Apparantly its been bad for a few weeks now. However I will be at the pool session on wednesday so I will ask some people there about dive computers.

So slight update,
I have been talking and my parents have said they will chip some money in. THis sends my budget up a little. To d9 + transmitter range. Is it worth it?

Now you can go wireless AI? Nice.

My rig is a simple BP/W, with a naked SPG and a computer I wear on my wrist.

My wife rig is the Seaquest Libra and an Aeries Elite hoseless AI computer.

I use her rig with working with students in the pool and I've taken her rig diving in Fl. It is nice to look at my computer and see air pressure, time, depth, NDL or deco obligations, or air time remaining. That is nice. Real nice.

However I don't at all seem to miss it when I use my rig.

People have complained that their transmitter doesn't give them accurate pressure. But pressure gauges have been known to fail as well.

I'd say go for it!

Remember to not turn off your most important computer if you go AI and that is your brain.

Im off uni tomorrow so im off to the dive shop i use regularly to hammer out a price for a d9 + transmitter basically. He tended to stay with the 1 he sells alot of, the vyper air but as several people have said to me go for the best you can go for! lol.
I dive all Mares (BCD, regs and consle), apart from my mask and snorkel which are oceanic and tusa, got them way be4 hand. Also oceanic semi-dry
So ill be a good mix!
Looking foward to it. Going to wear it everyday and buy the small disks that cover it and there is also the rubbery verion :) haha.

Back
Top Bottom