Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or Suunto Cobra 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sendero

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been certified a while but still consider myself a newbie diver as I'm only recently getting back in to it. I've pretty much decided that its time to stop renting and purchase my own gear. One of the big decisions left here is which dive computer to go for. I prefer the air integrated vs watch simply because I will be doing mostly drysuit diving for a while and it seems like it'd be a pain to place/wear the dive computer on an arm.

So, I've somewhat narrowed it down to the Suunto Cobra 3 or the Oceanic Pro Plus 2. What are some thoughts/suggestions on one vs the other?

Thanks!

well I can say that the placement is not really an issue it's very easy to do. MOst use the wathc band or will get a DSS mont and Bungee rope around the arm. Thats the way my G/F dives with it and loves it.

I on the other have Have the Proplus 2 and love it. Its very easy to use nice big number and easy to read.

ProPlus2

Nitek Trio in DSS Mount

Give Jason or Wayne a Call at 1-908-359-1250 They will go over a few things with you and I am sure will work out a great deal

I will agree with a bungee wrist mount, especially with a drysuit. Both devices are good. I have a Suunto but it's a Vyper2. Suunto's are conservative but you can knock down the settings. I can't vouch for the Oceanic but heard it was a good computer.

I have the Pro Plus 2. It has been reliable, and I like the big display.

Ron

......So, I've somewhat narrowed it down to the Suunto Cobra 3 or the Oceanic Pro Plus 2. What are some thoughts/suggestions on one vs the other? ...

See for yourself the Pro Plus 2 in action in the Online Specialty Class:

We don't have - yet - the Cobra 3 Specialty Class.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I dived with the Pro Plus for years but switched to a wrist mounted computer with a wireless transmitter. It is much more convienent to glance at your wrist for all information than to contnually un-clip a console to view the same. In addition, holding a console out to view all but eliminates descending and ascending in the preferred horizonal trim position. Second choice would be a wrist mounted computer and a quality brass Submerged Pressure Gauge (SPG)...

I have heard good things about this unit.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_vt3.html

Well, to throw another in the mix, I've found a decent deal on a used Vytec DS. I really like the size aspect of the Pro Plus 2 and found a used/new one for a good price on craigslist but the person isn't interested in shipping :(

Last edited:
holding a console out to view all but eliminates descending and ascending in the preferred horizonal trim position.

Again, that's nonsense. I dove with a Pro Plus for years and never had any such problem.

There are lots of very good computers on the market. I really give Oceanic the nod because of their stellar customer service. There are lots of threads out here about that.

-Charles

Again, that's nonsense. I dove with a Pro Plus for years and never had any such problem.

There are lots of very good computers on the market. I really give Oceanic the nod because of their stellar customer service. There are lots of threads out here about that.

-Charles

One's head must be tilted down to view (unless the hose is way long) which severely diminishes situational awarness including keeping an eye on your buddy...

Back
Top Bottom