Best Purge Mask for Smaller Faces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife is looking for a new mask but insists she wants to stay with a purge mask. She has been diving with one for the last 15 years. Any suggestions?

My wife is looking for a new mask but insists she wants to stay with a purge mask. She has been diving with one for the last 15 years. Any suggestions?

Two questions:

- Why is she looking for a new mask?
- Why does she want to stay with a purge mask?

Two details that might be germane to possible recommendations.

She would like a more modern mask after 15 years. One that has a great visibility than the Scuba Pro that she currently wears. Just is more comfortable with a purge. Appreciate any choices. Thanks.

I don't think that there is a good purge valve mask being made today. The masks that do come with purges have these small diameter valves that leak if the are fouled with even a grain of sand, not like the larger purges in the old masks that worked much better.

I think the best suggestion will be to head to a dive shop with a good selection to see what may fit. This is especially true since you have already classified her face as small.

I know Atomic offers a small version of their popular mask but I don't know about a purge. Also most of the great vision masks are such by being close to the face, meaning less internal volume. The lesser volume makes any leakage is more noticeable. If your wife is bothered by a wet nose then high vision/close fitting/low volume may not be optimal.

The Cressi Big Eyes lands in between with teardrop lenses. There are a few brands doing similar styles.

There is also a common mask sold under many brand names with a single face glass and 2 side windows with a glass on glass corner. Example This provides great buddy spotting to the sides. There is some distortion and a optical blind spot between front and side views so calling it panoramic is a stretch. My face is difficult to fit along the sides and it works for me. This like many masks are made by "sombody" and sold under many brands as well as no name for small $$. It does come in a purge version.

Fit rules, start at a good shop.

Pete

She would like a more modern mask after 15 years. One that has a great visibility than the Scuba Pro that she currently wears. Just is more comfortable with a purge. Appreciate any choices. Thanks.

More Modern Mask + Purge Valve = :shakehead:

As Thal recommended, the Atomic Frameless is a great mask, and comes in two sizes.

Because it is a very low volume and frameless design it puts the glass close to your face, affording the widest field of view of any low-volume mask - not just me saying it, that's according to Scuba Diving magazine too. (Think about how you can see wider if you are right against a window vs if you were across the room.)

Everyone I know who has one loves it - including me. You can read my mini review here at this link:

Atomic Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

My vintage buddies may disown me but once in a while some new piece of equipment comes along that is a benchmark for all that follow. Jet Fins are one, Aqua Master regulators, Scuba Pro Stab Jacket is another, another is the Atomic Frameless mask, it is quite simply the finest scuba mask ever made, MO.

N

I just purchased the Atomic mask for myself. I'll have to convince my wife that she is able to dive without the purge function. Appreciate the replies.

It is very easy to switch from a purge to non-purge mask. The purge does not make any significant difference but adds a place where germs are accumulated and it's a pain to clean it. I switched to a low profile non-purge valve mask and could not be happier. It feels different at first but you accustom to it very quickly.

I grew up using one of my dad's purge masks and thought the same thing your wife did when I wanted ot buy my gear recently...

Long story short no one makes them any more, and the Atmoic Frameless is such a perfect design that in my opinion it's far easier to use and clear than the old school purge masks.

Back
Top Bottom