Uwatec Aladin prime (SUB GEAR XP10) VS SUNNTO VYPER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claytonxuereb

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, can you help me choose between these two computers?? as you might have heard, the Uwatec Aladin prime has a new name, Sub Gear xp10... any suggestions? PLease help me choose people!!! :wink: if there is no real difference between the aladin prim and the sub gear xp10 please tell me coz i found that the aladin prime is cheaper then the sub gear xp10 in my country.

I really don't have info on the better of the two. But I would like someone to tell us where in the US can you get one of these. when I looked on Subgear web site it gave a few places here in Texas, but the shop web pages claim no such product. Does anyone know if one of the big name internet sites have this computer?:popcorn:

Has anyone tried to find/purchase an inrared reader for this computer? I have an XP10, and can't find one anywhere. Seems IR is a dead technology, and no one supports it anymore.

ScubaPro sells the external IR device. If you have a ScubaPro dealer in you area they can get you one. You can also try searching Infrared usb device, there are several Internet companies that sell them. Also I just got the Prime and love it. I have 4 dives with it and its great. Make sure to read the manual because it does alot.

I got my IR device on ebay. Works just fine

Sub Gear is essentially a lower cost option to Scubapro and Uwatec. Exactly the same stuff just with a different cosmetic treatment. Sub Gear is a different brand name owned by Scubapro, and Sub Gear items can be obtained sold by any Scubapro dealer.

The difference lies in lower price and reduced warranty coverage. For example the sub gear version of a Mk 2 R295 can be bought for less money but it comes without the free parts for life warranty.

The wholesale dealer cost however is basically the same so whether a dealer sells it or not depends on how they look at it. It has a lower profit margin, but it tend to be lower end /entry level items anyway (like the Aladin Prime, Mk 2 R295, etc) where the margin is already smaller for Scubapro gear, and it allows them to have something at a lower price point to compete with internet retailers and cheaper brands. So I suspect some SP dealers will love it and others will hate it.

Personally, I suspect I will see a lot more Sub Gear regs on the service bench in a year or two as the shop will sell more at the lower price point and stiill be very happy as they will make up the difference in profit on the reg with the profit on service kits over the first few years - and not have to mess with the now fairly complicated free parts replacement program like they have to with SP regs.

----

I have yet to meet a knowledgeable Suunto owner with experience or comparison with other computers who did not dislike their Suunto as it was way too conservative compared to everything else in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom