O-Ring G014L for Valve Face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

owlbill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are not a Sherwood dealer, but as many shops, we see a great many Sherwood valves when people bring tanks in for service. We can get most of the rebuild parts from Trident, but I would like to know what makes the tan coloured o-ring (Sherwood Part G014L) so different? I know it is harder durometer, and I would like to be able to replace these with "factory" o-rings if possible. Is this o-ring a special material and hardness? Standard buna rings just seem to wear out too fast.

Bill

Wow, a whole week.

I'll just use generic o-rings then.

Bill, sorry for the delay. Never saw the posting before today.

Color typically has nothing to do with the type of o-ring. OEM supplied o’rings usually have specific colors, but the properties and material of those o-rings is what is important. Substituting other o-rings can, but not always, cause difficult problems to arise and can make troubleshooting a bit difficult.

We recommend EPDM over Buna (Nitrile). They wear out faster than EPDM. EPDM is an elastomer with excellent weatherability, heat resistance, dielectric qualities and odor free characteristics. The G014L is made from EPDM.

Thanks. I get the color issues, I was more concerned with the material and the hardness. They feel too soft to be 70 durometer. Are they a 90?

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom