Two gas vs Three gas computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plumcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm fixing on buying my first dive computer. I am looking at the Nitek Duo vs Trio and its various clones. I am trying to figure out when one would need a three gas computer. How far could I "go" with training and deeper diving if I were to purchase the Duo vs. the Trio. One of the things I really like about the Duo is that it is so dang simple. Simple is good in my mind. The Trio costs an extra $100.00 which in the grand scheme of things isn't much but I have read that the Trio was made with some additional "improvements" over the Duo that not all of its users are entirely satisfied with (asent rate bar graph, on board compass). I do not have any real world experience with either computer but I did get to play with a Duo and was able to figure out quite a bit without any manual which I really really like. Thoughts, comments, and experience with either unit would be appreciated.

I am really interested to hear opinions as well as I have looked at both of these as well.

Dive gear express has a killer deal on them right now.

One of the differences between these computers (and their variations) and other brands is that their software SUCKS badly - looks like something out the dark ages of window 3.1! However diving software doesn't dive with you so its only for at home afterwards that that counts.

I've had the Duo for a couple of years now. Good computer. I'm contemplating picking up a another because they are affordable.

The Trio has a built in compass, but I'm not impressed with it.

Tech folk may easily be diving with three gasses. Bottom mix, travel mix, and deco mix. If they are diving three gasses they will be likely using trimix which I don't think the trio can handle.

Also, a lot of tech folk prefer to use a simple bottom timer and depth gauge and tables.

My buddy dives with both a Duo and Trio.

I'd say get a couple of the Duo's for the time being and if you move into mixed gas diving you'll get a multiple gas computer capable of trimix and you'll already have a couple of backup bottom timers.

Hi guys,

Here is my opinion for whatever its worth. If you getting a computer with more than one gas you already thinking about doing tech diving i assume. when you start with tech diving you are quickly going to use 3 gases. air, enriched air and 100% or close to 100% o2. so when it comes to computers a 2 gas switch computer is in my opinion pretty useless, i recommend minimum a three gas switch computer. but to be honest if you are serious about tec diving i recommend either. i got SUUNTO Helio2's for the bans technical diving that i am the technical diving director for. the computer takes up to 8 gas switches and can be use for trimix. you get an excellent software with it that you can download direct to the computer and use during the dive. the price is 30% cheaper than SUUNTO D9 (3 gases). so minimum 3 but if you want something that you dont need to upgrade look into the SUUNTO HELIO2.

Kind regards
Jonas Samuelsson
PADI Course Director/DSAT Instructor Trainer/ANDI Level4 Cave Explorer
Bans 5-Star CDC/TECH Center
jonas@kohtao-idc-group.com
PADI Diving Instructor Koh Tao / Thailand
www.kohtao-idc-goup.com

BANS DIVING RESORT IS THE LARGEST PADI DIVECENTER IN THE WORLD WITH OVER 9500 CERTIFICATIONS PER YEAR. BANS DIVING RESORT IS THE WINNER OF "DIVECENTER/BUSINESS OF THE YEAR IN 2009 IN ASIA" AND "DIVECENTER/BUSINESS OF THE YEAR IN 2009 AND 2010 IN THAILAND"

BANS DIVING OFFER IDC EVERY MONTH, MSDT PROGRAM, STAFF, CDTC PRETRAINING, TEC DEEP, TRIMIX, DSAT, ANDI, BSAC, CAVERN, CAVE, CCR, COMPRESSOR OPERATOR, ADVANCED EQUIPMENT AND MORE.

Notice the above poster is suggesting a computer that can do Trimix. DR Trio not so much on the Trimix.

For dives using nitrox as a bottom gas I have seldom used more than one deco gas. I usually only use multiple deco gases on trimix dive and that is why trimix computers have a larger range of mixes.
Bottom line there is little need for a 3 gas computer and if and when you start doing trimix, the duo makes an easy to use bottom timer.

Thanks folks. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I am interested in "tec" diving but the realities of my personal life will take priority from getting real seriously into "tec" for the forseable future. Sounds to me like the Duo will serve me well. Thanks again

yep, good decision. you'll only need gas switching abilities once you start doing deco dives with a dedicated deco gas, and while i can think of places to use three gases that don't include trimix, by the time you're there you'll likely want a new computer anyway. in other words, why pay for two gases you won't use when you can just pay for one you won't use?

i used a nitek plus for years & loved it as a rec computer before i even put a second gas in it. there's no reason for a rec diver to need a three gas 'puter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom