Maldives in April/May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrrworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any advice on the Maldives in late April or early may? Seems like it should be an ok time of year but some websites seem to contradict each other if this is a good time or not. What are the typical conditions this time of year (realizing the weather can always change)? Also, should I be pushing for a trip in the south or north at this time of year? I'm partial to big things, especially mantas, but am usually happy just to be underwater on a LOB.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, April and May should be the best time to see large pelagics such as manta rays and whale sharks - warmer water with plankton blooms.

Ari Atoll should not be missed especially for the big fish but most itineraries on the liveaboards inlcude North Male Atoll, South Male Atoll and Ari Atoll.

Thanks. I'll start looking for LOBs. But do the LOBs include all three Atolls on one trip or do they usually pick an area. If the latter, is one more preferable than the other at this time of year?

I agree, we seem to be missing some timely reporting on the state of affairs in Maldives ... I'm on the Orion over the Easter holiday, and *promise* to provide both a report and some fabulous pics of schooling(?) whale shark, squadrons of manta, and, hmmmmm let's see, how about humble Canadians celebrating mastery of the hockey rink ... Question ... are divers typically hockey fans?

Hi Michael
Been going to the Maldives for the last 10yrs and love it; never been that early in the year so can't comment.

Check out company we've gone with for our most recent visits - Maldives Scuba Tours; have a look at thier trip reports/guest comments to get an idea. They have over 15yrs experience in the Maldives and really do know thier stuff, the majority of their bookings are with repeat guests (inc me). The don't have set routes; they go where the action is and that can/does cover different atolls - with thier extensive knowledge and a fab team they really set out to make sure the diver has some memorable dives which makes for a fantastic Maldivian experience.

The diving can be challenging with some real action dives but then you can have some mindblowing dives with Mantas and Whale Sharks - check out divenet.com March 2010 - Manta Tornado; 200 in one go. The guy who wrote the article stayed on Sea Queen which is run by Maldive Scuba Tours and who we've gone with for the last 3yrs; we didn't have 200 Manats we only had 65+ along with a 8m Whale Shark....awsome!!

This year we're going in July with MSt as they will be going to a relativley new part of the Maldives - Huvadhoo (spelling) - having seen the DVD and had conversations with the Cruise Directors there's some exciting diving to be had with lots of shark/manta action...so excited!

Anyway I hope my 'going on' has been of some interest and if you have any other Q's then please get in touch.

Hope you get to the Maldives and hope you have some fantastic dives.
Dive Safe
Kasha

Thanks Kasha. I'll check these out. Looks like now I can't go till mid-May so hope that works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom