Treasure Coast Shore Diving Maximum Depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I am trying to find out the maximum depth anyone has reached from a shore dive in the treasure coast area. I haven't managed to find anything past 25-30 feet but I've read one report that depths of up to 55-60 feet can be reached from a beach in the Fort Pierce area?!

I know that Shore diving in this area is very popular and I was hoping to get a quick survey of divers depth gauges!

Thanks in advance

Luke

You are not likely to get past 25 or 30' and even then that's pushing it. There's no real reason to go straight out as deep as possible as the best shore diving experience involves going out to a reef line and swimming parallel to the reef and shore. NOAA charts are available on its website if would like to see the depth contours.

I’ve never seen anything over 22'-
As soon as summer rolls around and the visibility returns, Deep Six and I will be hosting a series of shore diving events, starting with the Georges Valentine wreck off the House of Refuge in Stuart. That maybe one of the 'deepest' dive site accessiable from shore at 20' during high tide. Stay tuned or swing by the shop for more info

Thanks for all your replies.

The NOAA charts say the same thing, to reach anything over 25ft you would have to swim out at least a mile (and like you said there is not much reason to!).

The reason I was curious was that I was reading through Ned Deloach's Underwater Florida guide and noticed that he talked about the following depths at Kimberly Bergalis Park (South Hutchinson Island about 1 1/2 miles south of the Ft Pierce Inlet):

Page 236:

".......There are three sets of ledges: at 15 to 20 feet; 25 to 30 feet; and 55 to 60 feet ................Inshore diving ranges from 100 yards to 300 yards out from the beach...."

After looking at the charts I though that maybe I was misinterpreting what he said but I saw a website of a local shore diving group who said that the 3rd reef line (55-60ft) was only 800ft out from the beach (Look at dive #40 on the link below)

irishmansoftware.com/beach_dive_locations.htm

Hence I was very confused!

One last question, I've only been in Florida a year now (moved here from England) and so I'm still trying to understand the Florida weather. When do you guys think the wind and waves will calm down enough for shore diving to be possible again?

Thanks for all your help and Steve I would be very interested in some group shore diving events.

Luke

I've noticed! Every time I think I've adjusted to the weather over here it changes again!

Thanks for the Weather Report link. Another good one is the NOAA website.

The beaches get very dive able in the summer months...you just gotta watch the thunderstorms

18 to 20' paddled out much further than I would have been able to swim. KB park is a little steeper but not that much for sure..

#3 on that list, Monster Hole, should be shore diveable and that has a 30' depth. I've been wanting to check out that spot, the only problem is that it is a major surfing spot due to the wave action so you would need a day with a flat ocean.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom