Dahab Technical Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Blue Hole is the most famous technical dive spot in Dahab and is literally a hole in the reef. Some people believe that it was caused by a meteor. Its width is 56 meters (184 feet) and its max depth is 120 meters (400 feet). The most important feature of the Blue Hole is the stunning archway starting at 56 meters (184 feet) and exiting into the bottomless open sea.

Dahab_Blue_Hole.jpg

The Canyon is a deep wide ravine within the sea floor. This site took its name from a long, narrow, and very beautiful canyon running north to south. It starts from the shallow reef just offshore to a maximum depth of 52 meters (170 feet). It was created by an earthquake. The entrance to the Canyon is marked by a large coral mound lying some 10 meters (33 feet) away from the reef face. A man-sized opening in this coral hummock gives access to the top chamber of the Canyon, which is called the fish bowl (an enclosed circular cavern full of small goldfish and glassfish). The fish bowl starts at 15 meters (50 feet) and is now closed because it is expected to collapse due to several cracks within its structure. After the fish bowl, the Canyon slops downwards to two exits; one at 30 meters (100 feet) and the other at 52 meters (170 feet).

Dahab_Canyon_Fishbowl.jpg

Is the "hidden canyon" also known as the "little canyon",ie the one that rounds from Helal to Talha starting at about 35m at Helal and runs 1km or so north dipping to 60m+ with some areas collapsed?

Or are we talking about some completely different one? If its the same one its been dived a lot and before last year, i know several people that over 6 dives or so did the length of it.

Also worth mentioning some of the canyons outside Lagoona/Offshore from Zanzibar. Neptunes Chair and so on?

As a side note, not technical related but is the little blue hole area/reef worth diving at all?

Is the "hidden canyon" also known as the "little canyon",ie the one that rounds from Helal to Talha starting at about 35m at Helal and runs 1km or so north dipping to 60m+ with some areas collapsed?

Or are we talking about some completely different one? If its the same one its been dived a lot and before last year, i know several people that over 6 dives or so did the length of it.

Also worth mentioning some of the canyons outside Lagoona/Offshore from Zanzibar. Neptunes Chair and so on?

As a side note, not technical related but is the little blue hole area/reef worth diving at all?
It's not the little canyon, but I think it's the same system. Damn we need scooters and proper cave diving equipment and training don't we?

Yeah Neptune Chair is worth it. It's an extension to the normal canyon dive. Feel free to add whatever info you have.

If you mean by little Blue Hole the site between Sheheera and Shogayrat/Gabr El Bint (the one the Bedouins call Abu Sayla), no I won't bother diving it.

The hidden canyon was discovered last year. The maps are not so clear but that's all what I found.

HC_Map01.jpg
I think the Hidden canyon was discovered last year by Tom Steiner's Fantaseatec team(now Deep Pressure Point).It's a whole system of canyons.I hope to dive this part of the system in a few days time:YouTube - Abu Helal Hidden cave Canyon.I'm gonna see Tom and Sebastian Kister in a few days and I've already told them that if they don't take me there I'm going to put their dive center on fire:wink:.
True,the best part of the Blue Hole is the Arch opening at about 56 m.No point in diving the Blue Hole if you're not going thru the Arch and ascend along the outer wall IMO.
The Canyon is a great dive and can be done on air(extended range).Also Tiger Canyon is a good one.

I think the Hidden canyon was discovered last year by Tom Steiner's Fantaseatec team(now Deep Pressure Point).It's a whole system of canyons.I hope to dive this part of the system in a few days time. I'm gonna see Tom and Sebastian Kister in a few days and I've already told them that if they don't take me there I'm going to put their dive center on fire:wink:.
I don't think so. The names of the people who discovered the system are written on the map. They are Russians. May be they were using Tom's facility for supplying gas, etc...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom