Computer comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Is there anywhere to get good, unbiased comparisons of scuba computers? I have looked a many websites and printed material and all seem full of opinion or sales hype. I am currently in the market and would like to make a well informed decision of the best for the buck. Any thoughts?? My family and I currently are all on Genesis React Pros.

Scuba magazines are the only ones I come across doing reviews and they never give a bad review so I don't know how helpful they are.

What is it about the Genesis React Pro that isn't meeting your needs?

People here can recommend some computers that you can then checkout yourself if we know more about what you are looking for.

People on ScubaBoard, myself included, are also opinionated about what we think is best. So chances are you're not going to get the feedback that you want anyway.

I'd suggest to set your budget and find something that appeals to you within the budget.

All you can do is look at the Algorithms and function you want in the computer after that its opinions.
As gcbryan said what functions are you looking for or what type of diving are you doing dive.

The problems I've noticed with reviews in a lot of SCUBA mags is they have limited products they use, the reviews are usually positive, and you'll find adds in the magazine for the reviewed product. In my mind that does not build trust.

Just like all others said, you need to look at Features, Functionality & Algorithms because everyone is making a good quality product so these categories will be the difference makers.

If you like the way your computer (Genesis React Pros) has preformed from an Algorithm stand point, then I would look at the Oceanic computers. Oceanic owns Pelagic who makes these computers (Oceanic, Aries, Sherwood, Genesis). From what I have seen, the Oceanic version of these generally has the easier reading #'s and is usually launched first. If you go with a Suunto, Uwatec or DiveRite computer, then they will be more conservative then what you are use to. Which means that it will put you into Deco faster, take away from bottom time (keeping within NDL's) or keep you in the water (Deco) longer than what you need to.

I had an Oceanic computer and it worked fine. However, the dive log software was horrible and the USB transfer cable had to be replaced twice. So if you are going to log your dives on a computer, also check out the software.

Cheers,

Dan

The Suuntos are conservative but it's close to the Oceanic Z+ algorithm which the new Oceanics use. I like the simulator function for learning to read the display, and the firmware upgrade feature of the new Oceanics.

Adam

As mentioned, they are all great and provide dive information. You will have to decide what you require (diving requirements), your budget, and what you like. For sports diving Suunto, Oceanic, Mares, Tusa computers works well. Some DC I like for sports diving.

Suunto Vyper Air, D6, D9, Stinger and Cobra3 (console)
Oceanic OC1
Mares Icon HD

Your decision should be based on:

Type of diving (where you wanna go), budget and

Just like all others said, you need to look at Features, Functionality & Algorithms because everyone is making a good quality product so these categories will be the difference makers.

Back
Top Bottom