Trip Report: South Florida 3 Mar to 8 Mar 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mastakebob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trip report for me and my buddy's trip down to West Palm Beach, Key Largo, and Key West from 3 March through 8 March 2010.

3 March 2010, Wednesday:
Arrived West Palm Beach early afternoon. Picked up rental tanks from Pura Vida on Singer Island. ~$8/tank. Another few bucks for weights. Plus, got some good advice on local spots. Swung by Force-E on our way back to our lodging to get my buddy's spearguns set up. Pick up some additional gear that we forgot (weight belts, dive light).
4 March 2010, Thursday:
Did a coastal dive in by the Lake Worth inlet at high tide. Saw 2 hawksbill turtles and a bunch of sleeping nurse sharks, plus a bunch of fish.
5 March 2010, Friday:
Drove down to Key Largo for what was supposed to be a double-dip on the Spiegel Grove with Silent World Dive Center. There was a miscommunication somewhere within Silent World and we got put on a boat with a student. So we did one Spiegel Grove and one French Reef dive. Needless to say, my buddy and I were kind of upset about this change in plans. But Silent World made it right (more on this later). Spiegel Grove had ~20' vis, which is apparently pretty poor. Coming from Jersey, it looked pretty great to me. French Reef was a reef. 20-30'. Some cool swim throughs and photo ops, but nothing really wow'ed me. Finished the day by driving down to Key West and camping at Boyd's Campground.
6 March 2010, Saturday:
Was scheduled for a morning dive on the Vandenburg in Key West with Lost Reef Adventures, but Lost Reef called us the night before to cancel the dive due to 0 vis. We rescheduled the dive for the next morning (hopefully) and went for a spearfishing free dive under a bridge a few miles up US1 instead. Water was noticeably colder in Key West than Key Largo and Palm Beach.
7 March 2010, Sunday:
Lost Reef cancelled Vandenburg again cause of bad vis, offered to do it in the afternoon if the vis is better. We declined and started driving north to get on an afternoon boat up north. Decided to try Silent World again because we were hoping to get some free Nitrox outta Friday's schedule fiasco. Silent World's owner (Chris, I think?) came through with flying colors and made things VERY right. Did way more than we were hoping for to compensate us for the botched Friday. Can't recommend him and Silent World enough. Did a double-dip on the Duane. Best dive of the trip. Huge puffer. Didn't see the Goliath Groupers, unfortunately. Also saw a Lionfish up on the left side of the bow. Pic'd it and reported it to reef.org the next day. Finished the day by driving back to West Palm Beach.
8 March 2010, Monday:
Free dive at Blue Heron Bridge. Was very disappointed. Vis was pretty bad. Maybe 10' if you're generous. Also quite crowded. Even on a monday afternoon. And really didn't see much life. Guess it was an off day. Flew home in the evening.

Avg air temp: Mid-60s. Kind of chilly, little disappointing but whatayagonnado? Got really nice on the monday we flew out (figures).
Avg water temp: mid-60's. I was fine in a 3/2 full with boots, gloves, and hood. Didn't really get cold till the end of the second dive. My buddy was hurting in a 1.5 skin with boots and gloves. Got a little better once he added a hood to his outfit.

Moral of the story: Dunno, woulda been nice to get the Vandenburg in, but I heard that the Duane and Spiegel are better anyway. Also, if you're in Key Largo, dive Silent World. They got their stuff together, and if they do screw up, they'll make it right.

Sounds like a nice trip with a good variety of diving. I have to ask though... you flew home the same day as you were diving on a trip with multiple consecutive dive days?

Thanks for the trip report.

Blue Heron bridge vis is affected by the conditions out in the ocean, although a lot of neat little critters can still be seen on bad vis days.

Was hook and line fishing allowed on the bridge you were spearing under?

Nice trip report,and i will bring a hood allong down in 2 weeks and that cold just will not let go down in Florida! that sucks!

Sounds like a nice trip with a good variety of diving. I have to ask though... you flew home the same day as you were diving on a trip with multiple consecutive dive days?

Yes, but the 'dive' on Monday was just free-diving. Probably never deeper than 15'. Flight was at 8pm so I was well outside the 24 hour period after my last compressed air dive, ended around 5pm the previous night.

Was hook and line fishing allowed on the bridge you were spearing under?

Yes. Was only one guy and he was on the south side of the bridge where the current was ripping. We drifted around to the north side and hung out in the rubble under the bridge where the current was much lower.

Just as an FYI for next time, it is not legal to spearfish in FL within 100' of any bridge where hook and line fishing is allowed.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom