New Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamaicanMon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I am looking at the possibility of getting a new dive computer. Presently I dive a Suunto Cobra (original) that has decided that cold water diving isn't for it.

I have a lot of buddies that dive the Viper Air and I was wondering hat anyone's thoughts are on the Vyper Air. I am also curious to know in general how far the technology for wireless tank transmitters have come.

Is each transmitter and computer uniquely paired now or is it still a channel change to get the right transmitter?

How easy is it to figure out if you've got the right transmitter on your display?

Is it possible for the computer to jump transmitters during a dive? (If yes can it be easily resolved during a dive?)

Is the 45 degree tilt on the compass tolerable or can it become a bit of a pain?

That all being said how have people found their Suunto's in cold water diving? Suunto computers seem to have a min operational temp of 0 degrees and i seem to have jumped into water and seen 32 degress on my temp gauge.... No my computer didn't work.

I am kinda curious what recreational Nitrox divers are using for computers and I am also curious to find out if any one has take the Galileo Luna for a spin and any thoughts on that.

Presently I am looking at Vyper Air, Cobra 3 and Galileo Luna. Any thoughts and comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

My favorite all time PDC is the Oceanic VT3. It won't "skip" to another transmitter, it's easy to read and very easy to use.

However, I just got a HelO2 and am finding it very easy to use, with even bigger numbers and it also does tri-mix. Not much diving on it yet to give a good report.

I don't like any of the digital compasses, but I have only seen Suuto's and Oceanic's.

It's funny you mention the digital compass issues. I haven't liked any of the ones I've seen or tried just because the tilt is aggravating. However looking at the Galileo it offers full tilt compass which kinda resolves the issues I've had with digital compasses.

I'm still not a huge fan of them but at least if I need to I can function with it is what I am aiming for at the moment.

I didn't consider the Hel02 just because it seemed a lot more than what I needed. However Ill take another look maybe Ill like it! LOL

.....I am looking at the possibility of getting a new dive computer. ................Presently I am looking at ......... Galileo Luna. ......

The Galileo Luna is a "de-featured" version of the Sol.

You can see the Sol in action in all his glory in the Galileo Sol Specialty Class.

See brief video:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I'm curious if anyone has used a Suunto and Sol before and would be willing to give a bit of information on whether they preferred one or the other.

As for my thoughts on these questions:
- depends on what type of diving you plan to do.

- Over 16 years of diving, I have owned 5 computers in cold (New Jersey, and UK) and warm tropical waters, for lazy rec diving and some entry level tech training.

- I like the Sol but it is pretty big profile and a pain to carry around to meals etc. I hate just leaving it around so carry everywhere as it is pricey and i do believe in the greater good of humans to resist temptation. It has nice large screen and nice features to use for air and nitrox. Nice logbook if you want to use it to download your dives and profiles but after a while you stop looking at all the data. I now keep a paper log book. Luna is pretty much the same thing without the transmitter (i think). Transmitter costs around US$450 or so. Pairing of transmitter with computer is easy.

- The Sunnto D9 is great as it wears like a watch but as for aging eyes it is small font on screen. Also nice for Air and Nitrox. Also nice downloadable feature with a log book for your computer. Very functional.

- As for transmitters, it is not a stable technology per my techno geeks in telecoms that i dive with. I have had minor breaks in the transmissions to the computer but sorted out by just raising my computer arm near the transmitter. So, no big deal but i have lost faith in transmitter technology.

- I just purchased a Liquivision X1 (pricey) and will dive with it for first time in a few days. No wireless tranmitter. I added a low profile SPB that is old reliable technology for me. I know my air consumption so no big deal as i do not need to constantly be looking at it.

- For compass, i am not impressed with Sol or D9. So, i wear a old reliable compass on my arm and it is always there to give me a sense of direction not that i use it for navigation but a sense of whereabouts.

Many choices and lots of ways to spend your money. Keep asking and looking and maybe try before you buy and you will be happy with your selection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom