Marathon TSAR watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I am on the market for a tough rugged dive watch that will not cost an arm or leg. Rumblings and diggings lead me to the Marathon TSAR Dive Watch.

The watch is said to be the toughest (more than Casio G-Shocks) and is only manufactured against government contracts. I read it was designed and as tough as a tank and as accurate as any top of the line quartz watches (Swiss movement), all in a package worth less than $500. It is currently issued to NASA divers, Canadian SAR techs (seach and rescue), Navy divers and a few special force operatives. Part number WW194007, NATO stock number 6645-20-001-9382.

I am seriously thinking of getting one. Anyone out there with experience and/or feedback on that watch?

If they only sell them to NATO where would you buy one?

Where to get these Marathon watches if you're not with NATO?

Try index MARATAC GRAPPLING HOOK

I've read that these watches are suppose to be very rugged, but I have a certain aversion toward anything military surplus so I use Seiko automatic diving watches for about a quarter of the price of the Marathon.

Yeah, I am just going to get a brietling. I don't want to get a watch if I am going to have to impersonate a federal employee just to order one.

This is the same company linked to above, but its watch page.

Genuine US Military Wrist Watches

If someone is interested, I have one of these marathon watches I have never used and would be willing to part with.

Yeah, I am just going to get a brietling. I don't want to get a watch if I am going to have to impersonate a federal employee just to order one.

CountyComm.com sells directly to civilians. These watches they get are production overruns.

I'm just saying for myself that as a former soldier, I tend to shy away from the Rambo image and not buy things military surplus.

scuga,

Your post is bang on. Congrats on the Breitling to come: they are excellent and elegant watches. As a friendly advice, protect your investment by reading below why I am looking for a tough-cheap watch and not a premium timepiece.

I no longer care to dive with my Rolex Submariner 16613 and for several reasons: a) a too expensive piece of redundant equipment – the computer does the job at a much cheaper cost; b) Diving itself and related equipment handling is the source of a lot of abuse for a watch. Darn, I recently wasted close to 2 big ones with Rolex for refurbishing it to brand new condition; and c) I witness a poor SOB losing his Omega at a reputed dive resort a few years back. It was the hottest dive site for a while and of course, it was never found. Yeah right… (No, I don’t have a new Omega :) ). At another instance, one of my divers (Navy) found a nice Tudor ticking away in 45 ft of water. A $2000 find. All he had to do is repair the broken stainless steel bracelet. Could have been my Rolex or your Breitling.

As any working lad, I am unwillingly abusive to watches. This is why I am considering the Marathon T-SAR as an interesting cheap & tough alternative for work and sports. I will save the sparkling Rolex – or Breitling - for more elegant outings.

Dive safe and “sea” a lot

Thank you all for the reply.

JD950 and and fnfalman are both right: production overruns are available out there. They are not cheap if bought from reseller such as CountyComm.com. I would get mine directly from the manufacturer marathonwatch.com in Canada. They accepted to sell me one with proof of military service, which is class. Price is similar to Countycomm but in Canadian pesos, which is a small saving.

Now here is a tip worth a huge nitrogen credit: If you have a contact with access to a US Gov't credit card, buy it at gsaadvantage.gov for ... 264 USD !!!
No need to thank me, just float a few California prime red wine jugs this way!

Dive safe and "sea" a lot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom