Where is PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satyre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello

As a PADI certified, I am really suprised not to see a dedicate PADI subgroup here.
Not trying to launch any fight or war but was wondering what was the reason.
I think this could bring additional value to many SB members

Thanks
JLuc

Afaik they've been asked but so far have declined.

I think PADI, being the overwhelmingly largest of the certification agencies, and debated here so frequently, does not require a separate forum. Rather, the other popular agencies have their own rooms so that discussion can be given to them more specifically, and not get lost in the flood.

Cheers

C.

Simply because it would become a room of horrors with everyone beating on them. It would be a bloodbath and very ugly.

PADI is the biggest agency and has been the leader in making diving accessible to everyone. This of course enhanced their revenue stream (smart guys). The cost was lowering the standards significantly. While some instructors remain with high personal standards that lead to excellent divers, there are also many that slide by on the absolute minimum and give a false sense of security to people who are not ready to be diving on their own.

The result of this is PADI gets blamed for most of the training agency issues, deserved or not.

Thanks for your info.
Seems that it is hard for PADI everywhere on Earth :D

Satyre:
Seems that it is hard for PADI everywhere on Earth

My guess is they are pretty happy with their share of the market. They probably want an even larger share, but I doubt they'd be willing to trade with any other agency. Doesn't sound like they are having all that hard a time.

Thanks for your info.
Seems that it is hard for PADI everywhere on Earth :D

Hard? If only most other businesses could be so "hard".

PADI (and other agencies) and the global dive industry is big business. Their model seems to be "Get as many folks as we can to safely enter Scuba and enjoy it and spend money on gear, travel, and training."

Judging by what I see, the PADI business model is working fine, their customers are happy, the industry employs many people all over the world, huge numbers of ordinary people are out enjoying the "undersea world", and IMO diving remains a very safe activity for those who heed their training.

The popularity of Scuba has another advantage, in that many more people are getting a first-hand look at our oceans, they are learning about overfishing, pollution, and climate change, and they are adding their voices to those who are concerned about conservation of this wonderful natural resouce. That is a good thing.

Like any organization, PADI has its vocal detractors, and those with objective, factual criticisms need to be listened to for the benefit of us all.

Mike. Great point about raising awareness. I don't know how many people i run into that are petrified of stepping into the ocean. What a waste of ones life to not take part in your own planet in some way. For God's sake it's 75% H20!! People are worried about what's light years out there in space but what about here in the big blue?? I would rather dedicate research to our 75%. Will we ever get a chance to travel at light speed to reach some stars......i doubt it personally. Anybody copy??

Back
Top Bottom