cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppilot

Reaction score
Okay all, I have a serious question. Just what is the attraction of cave diving? It doesn't sound like any fun at all to me...dark, no marine life...what is it about the pastime that gets you all so excited? What am I missing?

Just wondering. Thanks.

Hi,

I'm not a cave diver but I'd like to dtry it ; why ?

1) Have you already seen some pictures ? ?
Some are FA-BU-LOUS ! ! !
I think we can see a lot of very nice things we can't see with openwater diving.

2) there are a lot of different technics which are new for OW divers ; in cave diving, we don't have to go deep but to try tto go through some hole,...

Whatd'ye mean "no life?"
Why just last year I saw a cave shrimp!
------------
Seriously, if your interest is in life forms, some of the most uniquely adapted critters in the world live in caves. Indeed, if you'd like to find a new species and have it named after you, caving's one of the higher percentage bets.
Most of us, though, find pleasure in the challenge of just doing it safely as well as in the scenery.
If you ever want to see the grand hall of the Gnome king, you're just going to have to go down there...
But... Cave diving is dangerous. Cave diving can kill you in a heartbeat. Training is mandatory.
Rick

Well I'm not a cave diver as of yet, however, I plan on going through the training classes and all the motions to receive that cert. What I know , for me, Plain old open water diving in depths under 100 ft has become rather boring, I enjoy a more technical type of diving, for me planning the dive is almost as much fun as actually diving it. I like the complexities of technical diving, and of course the toys involved. I've seen most of the marine life that I really care to, not that I dont become exited when I see something large or rare, but when I go looking for fish I plan on shootin' em'. But all in all thats just me, if diving reefs checking out marine life and coral is your cup of tea then more power to ya, all of us have our reasons for diving.

ppilot once bubbled...
Okay all, I have a serious question. Just what is the attraction of cave diving? It doesn't sound like any fun at all to me...dark, no marine life...what is it about the pastime that gets you all so excited? What am I missing?

Just wondering. Thanks.

A quote I read from Tom Mount in the preface of "The Art of Safe Cave Diving" said it best.

"Either you're one of us and you understand it; or you aren't and you don't."

To me, cave diving encompasses several things. The desire to peek around the next bend to see what is there. Wanting to go somewhere that very few people have ever been. Challenging myself both physically and mentally. And doing all of this while seeing some of the most stunning rock formations that have been mostly unchanged for centuries.

Yet, in spite of everything I just listed, the desire to cave dive remains largely intangible.

"Either you're one of us and you understand it; or you aren't and you don't."

I knew someone would say something like this :) It's pretty much what I tell people when they ask me what I get out of diving. Thanks for the responses and shedding some light on the subject.

ppilot once bubbled...
Okay all,...Just what is the attraction of cave diving?

I recall an extremely long day of driving, and diving. The water portion was conducted in Orange Grove and Peacock Springs and after diving all day I was frozen to the bone. My instructor encouraged us to “hang in there” because the last dive would make it all worth while. I was chilled to the point that I debated calling off the last dive which was after all of the checkouts and supposed to be a fun dive. With the heater blasting on high for the drive to the next site, I was sure I’d be fine for the next dive. We got geared up in the parking lot at Little River and got into the water. I kept thinking, “geesh…I am frozen…I don’t know if I really want to be wet again”. My buddy and I told the instructor how we felt and he again told us that it would be well worth getting wet. We descended into the brown pea soup, made our way to the cave entrance, signaled to get the lights on and began the dive. About 10 feet into Little River I got the warmest flushing sensation and was euphoric for the remainder of the dive. I wasn’t narced, (it not deep at all at the entrance) I was in awe. I had an ear to ear smile on the entire time and surfaced with that grin as well. So what is the lure into limestone tunnels with no coral or grouper? I can’t really put my finger on it for you. I can tell you I still get that sensation from time to time and frequently surface with that dopey ear to ear grin.

Back
Top Bottom