Crystal River Shore Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Second attempt at this post, here goes!!

I will be in the Crystal River area in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone could recomend a couple of good shore dives within about 1.5 hours of Crystal River? I have enjoyed Rainbow River and Manatee Springs State Park in the past but would like to visit some other good dives that don't require a reservation or boat access.

Thanks in advance!

Without cavern training, your best bet is to head down to the Venice Beach area for shark tooth dives. I'm not sure if that's within your 1.5 hour window but it should be close, there's other stuff in the area, just not OW sites.

There are not any decent shore dives in the Gulf in that area. You have to go about 15-20 miles out to get into decent visability.
Devil's Den & Blue Grotto are in Williston, 45 miles N of there. Troy Springs , Ginny Springs, are about an hour farther N . Paradise Springs , just S. of Ocala is another, but it is mostly all an overhead environment.
Not much going on unless you have a boat or get a ride. In the city of Crystal River, there is a park, Hunter Springs,, small but a place to get wet. You can rent a jonboat inexpensively from Crystal River Dive Shop, behind Best Western Motel. Tell them I sent you.

Thanks for the tips!

Are the Devil's Den and Blue Grotto not so much of open water dives? They are advertised as that if I recall.

Dive-aholic tell me more about the Venice beach shark tooth diving. I enjoy "grubbing" up here for bottles and stuff, shark teeth would be cool!

I haven't been to Devil's Den. Blue Grotto has an area that is OW. most of it is overhead. Many privately owned and operated sites will advertise OW safe sites just to sell admission passes. That doesn't make them safe.

Google Venice Beach scuba diving. There's a lot of information out there. I haven't personally done the dives, but it is on my list. Basically, you head out to about 15-20' depth and start picking through the sand and hope to find megalodon teeth.

Ah, just checked and its just over 2.5 hours of drive time from Crystal River to Venice. Kind of a bummer but maybe...:)

Green, I'm a newer diver but Venice was the first one I made out of OW cert class. The water can be a tad chilly this time of year, but that is by FL standards . . . Check out the Venice Fossil Divers forum and you can get a lot more info in regards what you can see out there and the type of diving to be expected. I did it as a shore dive from the beach, which was nice, and free . . . but I didn't find any shark teeth, I hear that the boats in the area are very good about getting you to a nice spot known for finding teeth. Just a few quick notes on the diving there, vis isn't very good when diving from the shore and you won't get very deep very quick, but I did see lots of fish and inverts that made it quite the enjoyable time. I think for you, I would decide first if you want to go to the ocean or if you're OK with going freshwater . . . personally I find springs and lakes a bit on the boring side, good for training/practice but not that exciting. I would definitely recommond Venice though, probably the closes ocean shore dive you'll find.

Devil's Den is open water. There are some places where a " much too curious diver " could find & get into trouble, but not typically. Nice place, beautiful, & nicely set up . Dive down & out to the deeper outside wall & start circling around the shaft. You can get a couple of good decent dives in. Grotto is openwater, but think of a cave in the side of a mountain with a pool of water in the front. You can dive back to about 50ft deep, & still be what is considered open water. Max depth is about 100ft, but you are entirely in an overhead environment there.

I personally have yet to dive Spanish Rocks (Bradenton Beach/Anna Maria Island) but I hear it can be nice

Dive Spot: Spanish Rocks

Type of diving: Shore dive – good for beginners

From Tampa ST/Pete: I-75 south from Tampa to the Bradenton/ State road 64 exit.
Note, there is an A and B – take exit A it will head you toward the beach.
Exit toward the right. Stay on that road for about 8 miles or so, until you get to Gulf Dr. (you will hit Gulf Dr. after you cross the intercoastal waterway).
Turn left on Gulf Dr. and take it down about 1/2 mile
Just before the curve to the left there is beach access and parking. That is where you want to be. It is a small sand lot between some houses and apartments. Just pull in and park. Gear up walk down the beach to the left about 50 yards (6 houses).

From Sarasota/Bradenton:
Take 41 north to Cortez Rd. turn left (west) on Cortez until you cross the intercoastal waterway.
Turn right at Gulf Drive and go north about 2 miles
Follow Gulf Drive to the left at the traffic light
The beach access is on the left after you round the curve
Beach access is a small sand lot between some houses and apartments. That is where you want to be. It is a small sand lot between some houses and apartments. Just pull in and park. Gear up walk down the beach to the left about 50 yards (6 houses).

The address for the house next to the sandlot where one should park is; 33 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria, FL.
Some other links:
Google Maps
Google Maps

What to expect at the dive site:
Rock ledges soft, hard small coral croppings, Sea grasses with sea horses. 22ft’ or less. DON'T FORGET YOUR DIVE FLAG!!! Boaters here are known for their careless behavior, so be cautious and again don’t forget your flag.
Amenities: None. Closest dive shop - Seatrek Divers Dive Shop - 105 7th Street North; Bradenton Beach, FL 34217; (941) 779-1506

Pros and Cons: Great dive for newbs, as depths are no greater than 22'. Fairly easy swim from beach to site. Visibility is rarely better than 15' but the price is right!

Well the chilly water is all in perspective! We were happy last weekend when the water hit the 39/40f mark! (Vis was about 24...inches!) We'll see what the temps are tomorrow in the lake.

I've a few weeks yet but my son and I are really looking forward to a couple of good dive days.

CaptEsteban, would you suggest a visit to Devils Den then?

I appreciate the advice everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom