Difference between Smoke on the Water Atomic Split Fins and Atomic Split Fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Why the $50 difference? I read one review which stated the SOTW fins at $249 were more flexible that the regular Atomic Aquatic Split Fins priced at $199. I would think that the stiffer cheaper split fins would be more preferable. Is it just the black color? I've been up all night contemplating this. Also if you're doing a lot of starting and stopping would split fins be advisable? Aggressive movement in a frenzy chaotic pace is what I'm after in a fin, made mostly of rubber. Can you slalom or turn well, make quick movements, in a split fin with no gear on, just snorkeling.

Aggressive movement in a frenzy chaotic pace is what I'm after in a fin, made mostly of rubber. Can you slalom or turn well, make quick movements, in a split fin with no gear on, just snorkeling.

Aggressive, frenzy, chaotic pace?

:shocked2:

Those are words that are inconsistent with snorkeling or diving; your needs must be different than the needs of a snorkeler or diver. So you may want to give us some more info on exactly what it is that you'll be doing while wearing these fins.

I'll have to agree with RJP. Aggressive, frenzy, chaotic pace sound really great in the right circumstances. I just not sure scuba would be involved......

:dancingsnoopy:

Aggressive, frenzy, chaotic pace?

:shocked2:

Those are words that are inconsistent with snorkeling or diving; your needs must be different than the needs of a snorkeler or diver. So you may want to give us some more info on exactly what it is that you'll be doing while wearing these fins.

OK - tracked down your "underwater hockey" post...

:D

Split fins would be out. Way out...

You want something shorter and stiffer; something that will bite the water, be very maneuverable, etc. Split fins are good for longer, straight, fluid strokes.

Think about the difference between speed skates:

21323-004-B9EB118C.gif

...and hockey skates:

ba50juicehos1.jpg

I'd strongly suggest Mantaray Fins for Underwater Hockey:

APS Mantaray Dive Fins

I just found out about this sport a few days ago and I'm definitely going ot go check it out. I use Aqualung Slingshots for diving, WAY too big and bulky for this sport, but my wife uses Mantaray's and they seem perfect for it.

btw, one of the other differences is that the Smoke on the Water fins include the steel spring straps while the standard fins do not. I found that out last night while looking for fins.

btw, one of the other differences is that the Smoke on the Water fins include the steel spring straps while the standard fins do not. I found that out last night while looking for fins.

Well, if that's the case then it's $50 well spent.

imho

my two cents

just sayin'

ymmv

no ego invested here

I can't thank ya'll enough for answering my first ever topic on scubaboard. RJP, you are correct, sir. I am looking for the best underwater hockey fin. I guess that I should take back the Atomics split fins I bought and exchange them for the Mares Volo Power Dive Fins.

My only concern is kicking a fellow underwater hockeyer in the face with them.

smoke on the water and the red ones and the white and blue ones are stiffer than the other colors

Smoke on the water do come with spring straps.

In the event of a solar eclipse you could enjoy looking at the sun through your smoke on the water fins with no damage to eyesight :cool2:

Or maybe if you just lost your sunglasses...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom