Wireless Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jloren9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there a difference in reliability between the wireless, wrist mounted computers and the older, hose kind?

For example, is battery the main concern or is there the possibility of some kind of interference underwater?

Thanks

Some wireless computers still have a reputation for being flaky, and/or for picking up another diver's signal.

By and large, I have been pretty happy with my D9, and never had a crossed signal problem.

You now have two batteries instead of one: one for the transmitter and one for the computer.

As far as interference goes, some models seem to be susceptible to camera flashes. Some people complain about lost signals and some have no problems at all. I've been using mine for a year now and the only time I've ever lost signal was at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Even then it wasn't a big deal. I held my computer up over my head and closer to the transmitter and it reestablished the link again.

But if that worries you then just get the hosed AI computer.

For years I have heard about how dive computers using wireless transmitters and receivers are unreliable, but in my family we have an assortment of Oceanic and Aeris wireless computers and have simply never had a problem with this. They all have visible and audible low battery warnings and it appears one can easily do at least a few dives on a battery after that warning occurs. I don't push it that far. Since my batteries are user replaceable I actually rarely see the warning because I tend to replace the transmitter batteries annually and the receiver batteries about every 6-9 months, even though they probably don't need it.

I have heard that firing a strobe can cause intermittent loss of signal, but have never experienced it, and have never seen any other form of interference. The only loss of signal I have ever experienced is extremely brief losses that I only know about after I download the data to a computer and see that there was something like a 1 second signal loss at some point, maybe once every several dives.

I have never used any other brand wireless computer so cannot speak to their performance, but I have heard stories about some. I don't want to rile anyone so I will just give the intials (S.U.U.N.T.O.) :wink: but again this is just what I have read, and have no personal knowledge.

I think the technology has proven itself reliable, though there are those who will tell you that relying on the concept of sending invisible waves of data through the water is akin to telepathy, and relying on a wireless computer is a sure path to death and destruction or an utter waste of money.

Eh, I have a ScubaPro / Aladin Smart TEC . . . It loses signal because the only available port is opposite from where the optimal spot is . . . it complains, I shift my hand, it gets happy.

I have experience with Oceanic wireless and Suunto. The Oceanic has been flawless and the Suunto (I have 2 of these) has been a total pain. I like the Suunto wrist computer better, and continue to use it, but the Suunto wireless technology is undependable. The problem for me has been failure to link.

Is there a difference in reliability between the wireless, wrist mounted computers and the older, hose kind?

I would think the electronics are equally reliable, but with the integrated HP hose, you do not have the electronic "linkage" issue others have remarked about.

The freedom of not having that extra hose in the way would be nice, though. I have been using a Sunnto Cobra and it has worked flawlessly - but would like to try a wireless. I guess if you are diving in more severe conditions you would want to eliminate as many potential failures as possible, that's why at least having redundant analog gages is worhwhile, in my opinion.

My daughter and I both have oceanic Atom 2's. The only problem we have had is occasionally being too far away to do a buddy check. However you have to actually be quite close for this functionality.

I would think the electronics are equally reliable, but with the integrated HP hose, you do not have the electronic "linkage" issue others have remarked about.

The freedom of not having that extra hose in the way would be nice, though. I have been using a Sunnto Cobra and it has worked flawlessly - but would like to try a wireless. I guess if you are diving in more severe conditions you would want to eliminate as many potential failures as possible, that's why at least having redundant analog gages is worhwhile, in my opinion.

NEWIN, I started the same way, first Suunto Cobra, the Suunto Vytec wireless, then linkage problems. Have removed the wireless transmitter and replaced with a small "brass and glass" pressure gauge but still use the Suunto wrist computer which I like a lot. Not constantly worrying whether the thing is going to hook up just before my dive has removed a bunch of stress.

As you are seeing from some of the responses, IMHO I feel the the Oceanic's have been the most reliable of the Hose-less AI computers. A couple of key points on these style computers, one, depending on how much diving you do, I recommend changing the batteries at a minimum, once a year. Two, most regs these days have 2 HP ports. Mount the sending unit on the same side that you will wear the computer. Lastly, I know that a good portion of divers go to this style to lose a hose, by I recommend that you hook up a small SPG (24" Hose) and keep it clipped off behind you. In the unlikely event the sending unit fails, you will still have a tank pressure reading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom