Is a dive computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghoti

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving for over 20 years with an analog console of guages. I am now thinking about getting certified as a divemaster on my next vacation. Do I HAVE TO switch to a dive computer?

I'm very comfortable with my analog setup and using the dive tables and I usually log all of the important stuff that a dive computer would tell me (bottom time, max depth, temp, dive group, surface intervals, etc.).

I don't need any new equipment, but do I need to make the switch?

Thanks for your input.

Please, for the love of God do a search on the forum here. The last thing this forum needs is yet another thread on whether or not one NEEDS a computer.

We certainly don't NEED another thread on that topic.

Actually, it might be a good question for a prospective DM.

If you are leading a dive, would the logging capability of the computer provide any protection from a lawsuit if you were accused of leading a diver into a dangerous situation?

As a DM leading a dive without a computer, you're going to have a lot of unhappy divers if they're using computers and you're using the tables. Without one you'll probably be in the dark about all the questions divers will ask you about how the one they use works.

If you're diving using tables, BT and depth gauge, you'll likely be more conservative than the folks you'll be leading. Assuming you are getting your DM to work with it.

As mentioned above, if you don't know how to use a computer, or how they function in general, you'll likely not be very helpful to the clients. Again assuming your getting your DM so you can function as a DM.

Both in the PADI and SDI DM materials both mention how as a dive professional they want you in the latest and greatest gear. One could argue the computer thing, but it sort of is in there.

no, but its 'safer' & you'll get a lot more BT(most of the time).....

I think for the reasons posted you "need" a computer. if you are safety supervising that includes knowing when it is time to come up. I know I can bust a table on lots of normal dive profiles that a computer says is Fine due to multi-levels. would not be good for you as a DM to have to leave your divers on the bottom, or make them surface with much BT on their different system.

Well, you don't have to switch or throw out your gauges, you can keep your analog stuff and use whatever floats your boat. But DM is more about the other divers, not you. Why are you doing DM? If you are doing it just for yourself with no plans to help in classes, lead dives or use it in any way then do whatever (but then I don't see much point in doing DM.)

Otherwise, I can't imagine a DM that has never used a dive computer being able to deal with student questions on the subject, that would be a big gap in experience in this day. And your statement "I usually log all of the important stuff that a dive computer would tell me (bottom time, max depth, temp, dive group, surface intervals, etc." actually implies you don't really understand dive computers all that well.

And in many places (definitely including St. John), trying to lead your typical recreational dive following tables when most of your customers would have computers just wouldn't fly.

Well, you don't have to switch or throw out your gauges, you can keep your analog stuff and use whatever floats your boat. But DM is more about the other divers, not you. Why are you doing DM? If you are doing it just for yourself with no plans to help in classes, lead dives or use it in any way then do whatever (but then I don't see much point in doing DM.)

Otherwise, I can't imagine a DM that has never used a dive computer being able to deal with student questions on the subject, that would be a big gap in experience in this day. And your statement "I usually log all of the important stuff that a dive computer would tell me (bottom time, max depth, temp, dive group, surface intervals, etc." actually implies you don't really understand dive computers all that well.

And in many places (definitely including St. John), trying to lead your typical recreational dive following tables when most of your customers would have computers just wouldn't fly.

(for example)..You'll also 'lose' a dive on the Fling @ the Flower Gardens ie max 6 over a day & a half(only allowed to do 4 on the 1st long day---boat rules & understandably so).....

Back
Top Bottom