Anyone Diving the Luna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matthew hoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking around for a new computer for my up coming trips Cuba and Cozumel. I have played with a few and am kinda set on the Luna. I played with the Mares Icon which was nice but I prefer the Luna. Any Positive or Negative feedback would be great.

Cheers

Matthew Hoy

I've recently bought one, very nice piece :wink:
Haven't made a dive with it yet but tomorrow i'm going to NEMO 33 in Brussels.
Will let you know how it performed

One minor aspect is the fact that it uses IR to update/transfer to a pc and there isn't an interface included. The one from Uwatec costs 50$. That's pretty expensive for a IRDA dongle

The Luna is awesome because you can upgrade the computer software depending on the level of your diving. The Galileo SOL is basically the Luna with all the upgrades, but for 500+ more. The nice aspect that I find to the Luca is that you can buy software upgrades as your diving career changes.

Easy to read and operate; I have no complaints so far!

.... I have played with a few and am kinda set on the Luna. ....
We have designed an online specialty class for his big brother: the Galileo Sol.

See Video:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

very nice computer to dive with, i used it with a wireless transmitter. worked flawless but the increased workload ( it calculates the workload based on the air consumption rate ) alarm went off a few times because we were buddy breathing :D

Just looking around for a new computer for my up coming trips Cuba and Cozumel. I have played with a few and am kinda set on the Luna. I played with the Mares Icon which was nice but I prefer the Luna. Any Positive or Negative feedback would be great.
Cheers
Matthew Hoy

Hi Matthew,

I bought a Luna back in January. After 56 dives of various profiles, it has performed flawlessly. The AI has been rock solid, not seeming to care where the transmitter is mounted or on which arm I wear the computer. I normally require reading glasses within arms reach, but was pleased to find that underwater I can read even the smallest numbers without need for any additional magnification. On the surface the screen contrast seems inadequate, but underwater, it's fine.

I started out diving it conservatively, on Level 4 with a 5 minute safety stop. It occasionally gave me a short stop at 6 meters after dives to 36 meters, but on normal multi-level dives would usually "clear out" the need for a level stop near the end of the dive if I spent some time swimming around above 5 meters. On MB level 4, it was generally "in line" with the Suuntos my dive buddies were using.

I also had it set up to consider my breathing rate in the calculations. On many dives it did give me an "increased workload" message at some point during a dive. Usually, it was when something was happening around me (for example, when another diver was having bouyancy trouble, or somebody needed my attention, or even when I was actively using the compass). So, at those times, it provided a good reminder to "relax".

Bottom line: No complaints and it gets a thumbs up from me.

Regards,
John

I recently purchased a Luna and have only had a chance to use it in the pool a few times so far. I am pretty impressed with it. I cant wait to get a chance to use it on some fun diving. One of the things that I like is that since I already have a UWATEC SmartCom I can download my dives onto my same logbook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom