Suunto Hel02 anyone use it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With regards to the Helo2, not many cons. I can not think of any, but sure someone will point out stuff.

The Pros: It is a great dive computer with air integration, digital compass, deepstop functions, easy to use, all the dive functions you can think of, alarm management (depth, time, PO2, CNS, OTU), gas switching (air, nitrox, trimix up to 8 gasses), altitude correction, and a great RGBM algorithm.

The system also allows you to use the watch with the Suunto Dive Manager (download/review dive data) and Dive Planner. The planner takes care of all the consideration and planning for the dive, manages all gasses/backout, plans and multilevel profiles. This information is then uploaded to the DC within seconds, ready for you to dive your plan.

I agree with what is said above, except I do not find it as easy as other computers to use. I have to re-read the owner's manual from time to time to remeber how to do switch gases or find this or that page.Other than that, I do like it. I do like that it gives you the important dive information right up front.

I do not have one, but I have heard that it solves a long standing problem with Suuntos in that it allows you to reduce conservatism beyond the standard Suunto setting of "paranoid". You still have the usually optional more conservative settings of "deeply paranoid", "unbelievably paranoid" and "decompress when coming out of a shower".

Here is a review by Mark Powell, author of "Deco for Divers".

Excellent review.

My issue with it would be the proprietary Suunto algorithm--it's hard to tell what it's doing because the manufacturer won't say. If you buy an X1 or Shearwater, you'll be getting VPM or Buhlmann GF, which have been implemented on everything from iPhones to PCs, and amply documented.

Last edited:
I am using AI when I do recreation diving with my HelO2 and my Vytec Transmitter. There's a mild nuisance of needing to manually clear the stored Transmitter code inside the HelO2 every time I start my next dive on a fresh tank. If I do not manually clear it, the code remains even when I switched out of Dive mode and returns to it. Now, it's "on the tank, go into dive mode, pair failure due to old code, manually clear code, pair success and dive".

With the Vytec, I do not need such a step because the code is cleared when it goes out of dive mode. I just on the tank, go into Dive mode, pair and dive.

Does any HelO2 user face this inconvenience? Do you know of any tank shut-off procedure whereby the HelO2 will release the code automatically?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom