Key Largo wind, missed diving/snorkeling at SG and Christ Statue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My family is a Key Largo, Ramada now, Sat. Mar. 13.

Yesterday we went with Capt. Slates for the Creature Feature trip. I dove while my family (another 4 of them) snorkeled. The water was choppy, and I got sick as well as 3 of them. My wife had never gotten sick on a boat before, threw up for the first time in her life in a boat. Only my middle son was ok. I still went for the 1st dive and saw Capt. Slates feeding. Several large Jewfish came, one of them very big, as long as the span of my arms. I wore 3mm long, with a 3mm long vest inside. But near the end of that 1 hr I was getting chilly.

Next time we'll take motion sickness pills.

--

This morning Mar. 13 I booked diving at SG with Rainbow, but they didn't go, due to the wind and choppy sea. They said they can put me to another shop going to Molassas.

For the afternoon I originally booked us going together to Christ Statue for them to snorkel while I dive below. Rainbow also cancelled that. Rainbow said they would go out to Molassas this afternoon, but the snorkelers probably won't see much. So we didn't go at all.

Prior to the trip I had shown pics to my kids of the Christ Statue, and my 12-yr old daughter was especially excited. But no we don't get to go. At Rainbow, the lady said it is very unusual for them to go to Christ Statue, due to the distance from them.

Well, for the rest of the afternoon, we're going to drive all the way to Key West so my kids will the sunset at Mallory Sq. Then we get back tonight. A little far, but that's something else they can remember for this trip to the Keys. Oh we get on Costa cruise tomorrow afternoon, so not much more time at Key Largo.

Last edited:
Hi Torontonian,
Sorry the weather isn't cooperating, but hope you are still enjoying your vacation. That's the one thing the dive ops can't control...and if most are staying at the dock, I'm leary of the one who chooses to go in rough conditions rather than customer safety.

Enjoy Mallory Sq. Hope the weather is clear so you can see a lovely sunet.

thats too bad...
you just cant predict the weather!!!!!!!
horizon divers took us to christ statue-my wife cried in her mask
dived with slates and had a great time also-s g is a monster ship compared to lakers!!!!
enjoy the rest of your time!
yaeg

Shortly after 1pm I walked around and visited two other dive shops. One said their boat went to the SG in the morning. Sea was choppy, but they dove fine. So it wasn't a case where most boats stayed at dock. But I do understand when the sea is choppy, it's easy to get sea sick (I'll take pills for that), and the diving will be more challenging including getting out and back onto the boat.

We did get to Robbies at Islamora to feed the tarpoons, then to Mallory Sq at Key West. Drove aroudn Duval St., and took pics at the Southernmost point. The Publix was great where we bought dinner to eat in the car. Just got back from Key West. So instead of the Christ Statue, my kids can tell their friends about Key West, and having been to the southernmost point of the US. Of course the 42 bridges of the Overseas Highway.

Well, at least the kids know in the future when they have a chance to come near Key Largo, there is still the Christ Statue they can visit.

Southernmost point in the US will require tickets to Hawaii:wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom