Best Value for Dollar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello hello, I've been looking at computers as I intend to buy one this year... this will be my 3rd season after certification and I havent seen the need till now, but I intend to slowly expand my diving and as I will be doing my first liveaboard this year, can see the need for a computer...

After an initial review I've come to the conclusion that the Nitek Duo (aka Tusa IQ-700, Zeagle N2ition) for about $280 (ballpark) is the Most computer (featurewise) for the Least money.

I dont need wireless, dont Need pc transfer (tho' it'd be nice)... an don' particularly like paying for things not needed.

What other computers do you think rank in the 'most bang for the buck' category in rec/tech computers?

Hello hello, I've been looking at computers as I intend to buy one this year... this will be my 3rd season after certification and I havent seen the need till now, but I intend to slowly expand my diving and as I will be doing my first liveaboard this year, can see the need for a computer...

After an initial review I've come to the conclusion that the Nitek Duo (aka Tusa IQ-700, Zeagle N2ition) for about $280 (ballpark) is the Most computer (featurewise) for the Least money.

I dont need wireless, dont Need pc transfer (tho' it'd be nice)... an don' particularly like paying for things not needed.

What other computers do you think rank in the 'most bang for the buck' category in rec/tech computers?

If you are going on a liveaboard, you are definitely going to want 2 computers, multiple dives, back to back. You would not be smart to not have 2. That is just MOO:no:

The Duo is a very good computer and is just about all that is needed by most divers. I have a Cressi archimedes II which is the same computer as well as the others that you mentioned. I also have a Nitek Plus and a Cressi Edy II. Compared with some other computers that I have used all three are very easy to use and set things such as nitrox. The only downside I can say about the Archimedes is that the back light on mine is very dim to the point that I'm not sure if it is even on sometimes. This may be a problem with just my Archimedes though.

Keith, I'm not sure why multiple back to back dives would make multiple computers a necessity. Do you feel that you want the extra redundancy in case one fails?

If you are going on a liveaboard, you are definitely going to want 2 computers, multiple dives, back to back. You would not be smart to not have 2. That is just MOO:no:

Or at the very least, 3 among two buddies. Since I do more diving than my significant other, I wear the extra computer.

The thought is that on a liveaboard, if your dive computer bails on you, you are probably out the rest of the day and the rest of the trip can be difficult, especially if you have to go with tables.

Last edited:
We carry a couple of Sherwood computers in the same price range with great features, the Insight and the Profile.

Go with one of the ones you noted or I like the new Hollis one. Same price range, nitrox capable and it fits the DSS mount. One of my students just got one for 170 bucks used. User replaceable battery as well. And instead of getting two I carry my veo 200 and an OMS bottom timer. Even the veo is usually in gauge mode and I always have back up tables. You can find bottom timers in the 100-120 range all the time. Not user replaceable battery but the are supposed to have a 10 year lifespan on average based on 100 dives a year. That's what I'm told and don;t know how they figure that but I paid 100 for mine on the deco stop and after 4 years it is still going.

Go with one of the ones you noted or I like the new Hollis one. Same price range, nitrox capable and it fits the DSS mount. One of my students just got one for 170 bucks used. User replaceable battery as well. And instead of getting two I carry my veo 200 and an OMS bottom timer. Even the veo is usually in gauge mode and I always have back up tables. You can find bottom timers in the 100-120 range all the time. Not user replaceable battery but the are supposed to have a 10 year lifespan on average based on 100 dives a year. That's what I'm told and don;t know how they figure that but I paid 100 for mine on the deco stop and after 4 years it is still going.

Thanks, I think I'm going to get the Duo w/ the protective cover and DSS mount... for the last couple hundred dives I've been using a Target $17.95 digital watch in Stopwatch mode as my bottom timer... do ACTUAL bottomtimers (for the $100-$120 you describe) have additional features? or is it basically a very expensive digital watch thats always in Stopwatch mode?

do ACTUAL bottomtimers (for the $100-$120 you describe) have additional features? or is it basically a very expensive digital watch thats always in Stopwatch mode?

ScubaPro Digital 330M New version a lot more than $120

Features:
•Includes precision digital depth gauge, dive time, and thermometer: displays actual and maximum depth (up to 330Meters), dive time and temperature (water and air), Average Depth.
•Automatic turn-on and off : Wet-contact activated, it is automatically ready to dive after a self-test.
•Surface interval displayed for 24 hours
•Logbook for the last 19 dives
•Automatic altitude compensation

do ACTUAL bottomtimers (for the $100-$120 you describe) have additional features? or is it basically a very expensive digital watch thats always in Stopwatch mode?

ScubaPro Digital 330M New version a lot more than $120

Features:
•Includes precision digital depth gauge, dive time, and thermometer: displays actual and maximum depth (up to 330Meters), dive time and temperature (water and air), Average Depth.
•Automatic turn-on and off : Wet-contact activated, it is automatically ready to dive after a self-test.
•Surface interval displayed for 24 hours
•Logbook for the last 19 dives
•Automatic altitude compensation

Ok, so Actual Bottomtimers (in addition to doing divetime) will act as a redundancy for my console depth guage, give me temperature readings, turn itself on and off, and store such data...

Now, are those extra features worth an additional $100+ ?

Not to me. I'll stick w/ the cheapo digital watch in stopwatch mode until I get the computer.

Thanks for everyones insight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom