Algorithm comparison?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHugger

Contributor
Reaction score
Oceanic's newest comps boast dual algorithms of which one is the Buhlmann ZHL-16C (the Pelagic Z+). Can anyone point me to a comparison (link?) between the ZHL-16C and Suunto's RGBM algorithm?

I am especially interested in the comparison for repetitive diving.

If no formal comparison, users' reviews would be welcomed.

I don't have the link but someone recently posted the comparison graphs and these two are very similar. Which is interesting because Oceanic has had a reputation for being the most liberal and now they're offering an algorithm which is similar to the conservative Suunto.

Adam

That may have been me that posted that graph. If so, I lifted it off the Oceanic site. Here is a link to the page:

Personal Dive Computers - Oceanic Veo 3.0 with Dual Algorithm

There was also a test in Scubadiving a few months back that included a bunch of graphs including the new Oceanic/Aeris algorithm. If you can't find it I can see if I have a copy that I could upload.

I think Oceanic did this in part to appeal to some people who thought the Oceanic algorithm was too liberal and to appeal to others who were diving with people with more conservative computers and were frustrated by the differences.

Edited to add link to the Scubadiving graph:

http://www.scubadiving.com/files/_attachments/Dive_computer_profile.pdf

Thanks to you both. The 'scubadiving' comparison was pretty much what I was after.

I like the aim of RGBM - to reduce the formation of sub clinical bubbles - but the prices on LP on the Veo series seem irresistable. The OC1 (buhl) seems quite close to the Suunto and pretty much identical at dive 3. I might be able to simulate RGBM, checking against the wife's Gekko.

Seems Oceanic's marketing works, lol.

If I may state something some with will consider debatable, I think a more conservative algorithm does increase the safety with respect to DCS. There are reports of divers getting bend following the computer guidance, which suggests that in some cases there is insufficient safety margin and in my mind it means a more conservative algorithm is of benefit.

Adam

Thanks to you both. The 'scubadiving' comparison was pretty much what I was after.

I like the aim of RGBM - to reduce the formation of sub clinical bubbles - but the prices on LP on the Veo series seem irresistable. The OC1 (buhl) seems quite close to the Suunto and pretty much identical at dive 3. I might be able to simulate RGBM, checking against the wife's Gekko.

Seems Oceanic's marketing works, lol.

BTW, all the new Oceanic Veo(s) are already integrated in our simulator AND will have an online specialty class with lots of videos showing the computer in operation in several diving scenarios.

The class for the Veo 3.0 is already available and the ones for the Veo 1.0 and Veo 2.0 will be available early next month.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom