Islamorada Spearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaken1970

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some questions abou spearing in Isalmorada how far out do you have to go before you can spear i know with the marine sancturary you have to go so far befor you may spear so just how far is it

3nm.The local FWC should have a map available or the lines are on many regular maps.Starts at Pennecamp and goes to Long Key.

Adding just a small clarification.

3 Miles out is not from the main shore. It is 3 miles from any land mass including islands, out croppings, etc. With many small islands around that area, your 3 miles starts from the farthest one out. Like others said, get a map and a good GPS so you have proof if boarded.

Eagle,Bibb,Duane,Pot Boat to name a few

Adding just a small clarification.

3 Miles out is not from the main shore. It is 3 miles from any land mass including islands, out croppings, etc. With many small islands around that area, your 3 miles starts from the farthest one out. Like others said, get a map and a good GPS so you have proof if boarded.

That is correct 3 mile out from Rodriguez Island in the Upper Keys. Remember whe we were on Pickles spearing adn you could see the Island thats Rodriguez and further South was Tavernier Island. But dont get them confused you must use the furthest one out which is Rodriguez. Happy Spearing :D

I hear differently from charters in the keys. Its 3 miles from any sanctuary ,beach or state park. If you are passed long key like lets say marathon....you can swim out to any distance and spear. I have seen people do it on the seven mile bridge at beginning middle and end of bridge! Its amazing how so many people can have different answers to a straight forward question. Everyone above saying 3 miles is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom