Where to see coral restoration cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My girlfriend is in some marine bio class, and got coral reef restoration as a group project. She and one other member in the three person group are scuba certified, and we had talked about taking my little camera down and videotaping some coral reef restoration projects.

Problem is, we are broke college students. We are located in Orlando, Florida. I'm trying to find a place with coral reef restoration projects that is close to Orlando and cheap to dive-- something divable from shore would be great. Alternatively, if there was a group doing coral restoration that would let us dive with them and help out, that'd be even better for her project, i think. She is a relatively new diver, and I don't know how good of a diver the other teammate is, so the easier the site is to dive, the better.

Can anyone tell me anything about how to do this? I told her we should just go cavern diving, since limestone is made from dead coral in a lot of places...and cause I know a lot about Florida caves, but only know squat about Florida reefs :)

JahJah,
Get with Jenny at Meg-A-Dive and set something up with her for Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.
This is the best reef shore dive in the continental US and only 20-25 mins from where she lives.
We rented a room there last year for cheap and it was 280 paces from the sand.
We have a SB member that lives directly on the beach there as well.
I could & would loan you a "cheap" scooter for this type dive.(cheap = not for extended range diving)
Hope this helps & we'll see you guys in 2 weeks.
Brian (813)xxx-xxxx

Last edited:
JajJah,

Check out Indian Valley Scuba. They are running a coral reef restoration trip out of the Amoray Dive resort in Key Largo in May.

Indian Valley Scuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom