Air Quality Law Dropped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Sun-Sentinel published a list of out of date rules the FL legislature is dropping

HB7031: Repeals law requiring a sheriff to live within two miles of the county seat, which dates back to the horse-and-buggy era.

HB7003: Repeals telegraph regulations, a service that no longer exists in the Internet age.

HB833: Repeals requirement that scuba and dive shops pay for a quarterly test on their compressed air. No violations have been reported in 11 years.

The Florida legislature in their wisdom is dropping the requirement that dive shops test their air quarterly.

The reason: No one has been found in violation in eleven years. How often do they check?

I can't follow the logic, if people obey the law, there is no need for the law?

Eh --- It is not important that breathing gases be checked or monitored. ///

Yikes! That's not good. But on a plus note, I'm thinking the shop that fills my tanks will continue to do the quarterly testing anyway, because they have an outstanding reputation to uphold in the diving community.

The free market will decide if a shops air isn't up to snuff...

I bet it has something to do with saving the State money. Somewhere they probably have some bureaucrat that is paid to record and track air quality reports.

I did not feel safer with the law on the books and don't feel unsafe b/c they are dropping the requirement.

For all the topics you read on SB, I don't recall many threads having to do w/ "bad" air/gas here in FL - sure it can happen but this is not something likely to keep me awake at night.

Poison a few folks and you put yourself out of business - not worth it for a service many shops claim as a "loss leader".

Even more reason to know and work with your LDS...

I did not feel safer with the law on the books and don't feel unsafe b/c they are dropping the requirement.

For all the topics you read on SB, I don't recall many threads having to do w/ "bad" air/gas here in FL - sure it can happen but this is not something likely to keep me awake at night.

Poison a few folks and you put yourself out of business - not worth it for a service many shops claim as a "loss leader".

There have been a few on the Gulf coast. That's just further reinforcement that we're on the correct side of the state J31.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom