scuba/free diving computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a no frills, easy to change the battery, no Nitrox table, simple computer that also has a free diving mode for time and depth. Any recommendations?

Devices which include a free diving mode:
Suunto D4, D6, D9, D3, Stinger, Mosquito
Oceanic Geo
Aeries F.10
Cressi Edy
Mares Nemo +NemoWide
Galileo SOL (with Apnea software)
Liquivision X1

However, not all of the above have scuba modes (bottom timer/freediving only: D3, F.10, SOL w/apnea software).

Further, not all have user changeable batteries. If the Oceanic Geo has a user changeable battery, that would probably be the most economical option.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

It doesn't fit the "easy to replace the battery" part (since it isn't user-replaceable per se), but I've been through a couple of freediving watches, and the D4 is the best one yet.

It's way easy to use, and has been superb in the water. The display underwater is perfect, tells you just what you want depth and time; as soon as you surface, the display changes to show surface interval and last dive data. It fits perfectly into my freediving.

It does regular air dives as well as nitrox, but I certainly wouldn't hold that against it, it freedives so well.

In any case, the nitrox algorithm is so conservative it's almost useless. On our last trip I wore the D4 as a backup computer next to my X1. The D4 usually had me in deco, while the X1 (with VPM @ +3 conservatism) had me at 55 minutes of NDL.

All the best, James

It doesn't fit the "easy to replace the battery" part (since it isn't user-replaceable per se), but I've been through a couple of freediving watches, and the D4 is the best one yet.

I just talked to my spearing buddy and he just bought a D4 and took it to Thailand. He likes it so far. $500.

Devices which include a free diving mode:
Suunto D4, D6, D9, D3, Stinger, Mosquito
Oceanic Geo
Aeries F.10
Cressi Edy
Mares Nemo +NemoWide
Galileo SOL (with Apnea software)
Liquivision X1

However, not all of the above have scuba modes (bottom timer/freediving only: D3, F.10, SOL w/apnea software).

Further, not all have user changeable batteries. If the Oceanic Geo has a user changeable battery, that would probably be the most economical option.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Do you sell the Suunto D4?

I personally don't know of any non- nitrox computers, but I second the GEO. I used the air integrated version (Oceanic Atom 2) and thought it was really nice. The battery is very easy to replace in about a minute.

Oceanic just switched over to the GEO 2, so you can prob find last years model for a good price.

I'm sold out of the old version, but PM me if you want to know more about version 2.0

If you want to know more about the Geo 2.0, you can use it in our simulator and this Thursday we are planning to release the Geo 2.0 online specialty class.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I got an Aeries Manta just for warm water diving and free diving.

I has user replaceable batteries. Free mode, Normal mode (Nitrox up to 40%) and Gauge mode. You can switch between free and normal mode throughout the day. It will track your nitrogen loading for both. I'm not sure about gauge mode. It is a wrist watch size computer.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't keep your history of dives in free mode if you switch out of free mode to norm or gauge.

It is easy to use and understand.

I think I got it from LP for $230sih.

Don't get the blue. It is a baby/light blue. That is my only regret.

In my opinion the best all-round dive watch ever made was the Suunto Stinger. Very reliable too. Sadly in my opinion subsequent (and more recent) Suunto models just don't live up to the Stinger. The Stinger also has a freediving mode. It's main drawback is the battery is not user changeable.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom