Air Int. Comp. Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDJ1016

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Interested in any opinions (and prefer experience) those can offer on purchasing an air (Nitrox) integrated computer. I am interested in the hose-less wrist mount and need one with larger buttons being a coldwater Michigan diver. I had the opportunity to talk with my LDS today and the owner seemed to lean towards Oceanic. I do not doubt her judgment, just need to justify to my wallet the expenditure! (I have the want; now just need the ‘need.’) Not to mention the digital compass would be interesting if available.

:idk:

I have a Suunto D9: two-gas capability, user-adjustable risk parameters, digital compass, etc. I don't think I can help you justify the expenditure.

The compass is sub-optimal for any real navigational needs, though it comes in handy for a quick reference sometimes. It's perfect for dives where you might opt for no compass at all (probably not the norm in cold-water Michigan diving). I personally don't use the remaining-dive-time data, though some find it useful.

I like that it is small enough to wear as a wrist-watch (albeit a big clunky wristwatch), so I can wear it while traveling in lieu of my regular watch. I also like having my pressure on my wrist--it is easy to check there, especially if I have one eye glued to a camera viewfinder. Mine has easily navigable menus too--which is important to me because my dives come sporadically--but I have no experience with Oceanic. Uwatec menu navigation is a chore, in my opinion. The computer automatically pairs with the transmitter once you breathe from the regulator, and I have never noticed a loss of transmission with the D9.

If it sounds like I'm negative on gas-integrated computers, or digital compasses, I am not. I do think they are expensive and largely unnecessary though, but quite cool.

Aeris Elite T3 (aka Oceanic VT3) has big enough numbers for used with heavy gloves. Works fine with my 5mm gloves. No digital compass but I prefer the regular kind anyway.

D9 is great as mentioned. Would also consider Oceanic OC1 and Galileo Sol, Suunto Helo2 (love this one).

Many dive computers are made at the same factory and simply get a different cover. If you look around you'll find the same dive computer being marketed by 3 or 4 different dive gear manufacturers. Did your LDS owner recommend any specific model or just Oceanic in general?

I'm leaning toward the uemis ZURICH personally. Sliders rather than buttons, multi-tank and soon multi-gas.

What I'd really like to see is a gas analyser built in.

I'm very happy with my Uemis, even though the experience hasn't been flawless.

I was advised that the VT3 was the way to go. My son is goign to be O/W certified here in a little over 18 months so being able to monitor a second pressure isn't a bad idea.

I was advised that the VT3 was the way to go. My son is goign to be O/W certified here in a little over 18 months so being able to monitor a second pressure isn't a bad idea.
Ummm. Or purchase a large, easy-to-read analog SPG...and have your son clip it off so that the dial is facing outward. I routinely read my buddy's gauge in this way. It's cheap and effective. With the money you save, you could afford better/more instruction, more air fills, necessary dive equipment, or save up for dive vacations.

If you must spend more money on dive gear, consider learning how to service your own regs and spend a few bucks on servicing tools. It's not a bad investment if you have several sets of regs and you want to learn how to tune first and second stages properly.

I wonder how far off you have to wander in order for your AI-hoseless computer to be out of range of your son's transmitter. Hopefully, it pairs up quickly when the transmitter comes into range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom