Cozumel Reef Quality Since Hurricane Wilma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We were last in Cozumel in 2006, the year following Hurricane Wilma. Not only was all the coral and life on the shallow shore drift dive from La Ceiba up past Papa Hog's and up to the Caribe Blue hotel wiped out, even the deeper reefs were extensively damaged.

How have the reefs recovered?

I fear that the shallow dive may take many years to come back to a condition where it would be a worthy dive... but we are hoping the deeper dives, while probably not up to their former glory, will have recovered enough to to provide an enjoyable experience.

Any comments from those who have experienced Cozumel before and after?

We were last in Cozumel in 2006, the year following Hurricane Wilma. Not only was all the coral and life on the shallow shore drift dive from La Ceiba up past Papa Hog's and up to the Caribe Blue hotel wiped out, even the deeper reefs were extensively damaged.

How have the reefs recovered?

I fear that the shallow dive may take many years to come back to a condition where it would be a worthy dive... but we are hoping the deeper dives, while probably not up to their former glory, will have recovered enough to to provide an enjoyable experience.

Any comments from those who have experienced Cozumel before and after?

The reefs are in good shape...I have been there many times before and after Wilma and other hurricanes before Wilma as well....I was just there in January this year....it is beautiful....I don't think you will be disappointed....no worries:blinking:

Here are some shots from our 2009 Cozumel Trip on Flickr. They were taken with a point and shoot (no strobe) so the colors are a little off but it might give you an idea of what to expect. Since that's our only trip there we don't have anything to compare it to but maybe you can see for yourself.

I've been fairly regularly since Wilma, and while it is true that the shallow, more northern reefs still show signs of the hurricane, they are definitely "worthy of a dive." The deeper reefs look spectacular. Last January when I went was one of the nicest weeks of diving I've ever had there.

Even the shallow damaged reefs are in their own way absolutely spectacular....the profuse explosion of new life is incredibly vibrant and full of color, and different life forms. You can just go down and poke around slowly (if the current says so)...an hour will fly by and you'll wish you had more time. You should go. The deeper dives don't have as many of the big fans you used to see...but still intense and beautiful otherwise.

I used to be a regular visitor of Cozumel before the hurricane. Last March was my first time to visit since Wilma... I have a mixed opinion.
We were shocked that recovery is taking so long, particularly for the shallower reefs. Some looked like a wasteland, very little to show for in the past few years. Some looked better.
The deeper reefs looked good for the most part, some still have way too much sand, but nothing you can do about that.
Overall, there is not the color, sea fans, or long rope sponges of the past. But you will find some sponges that are in protected areas that survived. Fishlife is there but not as overwhelmingly abundant as before. It may take 20 years to get back to that level.

Is it worth going? Yes, we are going again in April. It is still good diving, not as great as it was 7-10 years ago when it was a technicolor dream, but it is still good.

Check out my photos:

some areas are lush
270309_Reef_091.jpg

270309_Sponge_038.jpg

reefs that look the worst - Tormentos
300309_Triggerfish_134.jpg

robin

We've returned to the island every year since Wilma. There was a lot of misinformation on the web about the reefs mainly due to the uncovering of the reef's limestone basement. What looked like totally destroyed reef was in fact ancient reef bed that was previously under the sand. Don't get me wrong, Wilma "the Destroyer" did a lot of damage to the reefs, covering some in sand, breaking corals and sponges, etc. However, the fish are still there and the reefs have become healthier and healthier each year. You can see the images in my annual trip reports on my webpage.

We also have been pre and post Wilma. We dove there 3 months after Wilma. It has been great watching the gradual recovery. Some sites, like Barracuda and Maricaibo, look much like there was no Wilma. Others show it. But even they are doing well recovering. It is well worth returning and diving. Do not judge it based on "it used to be", as it doesnt. It is different, and forever changed. But very worthy of diving and we will continue to return and dive Coz again and again. Still some of the best diving there is!

Michael and I have been returning to Cozumel 2 -3 times per year pre and post Wilma. Also, let's not forget about Emily that was just a couple of months prior to Wilma. I will say without hesitation that Cozumel is well worth the trip. In fact, Michael and I have enjoyed the experience of watching the reef come back to life and honestly feel it is a lifetime experience. What were teenie tiny infant fish post Wilma are now huge and very mature marine wildlife. Also, damaged coral , although still visible in certain locations, now has a new very healthy layer of new growth and color. Definitely go back to Cozumel, the pool is open !

Back
Top Bottom