How can I repair a leaking frameless mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachee99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a scuba pro frameless mask. However the seal around the mask and glass on the left hand size leaks a bit, which is extremely annoying because i have to clear it every so often. I love this mask and want to repair it instead of purchasing a new one.

There is no damage to the glass or the outside area., but the rubber surrounding can be pulled to expose the side of the glass. I think all i have to do is put some sealer on the inner part of the frame that holds the glass. However, I am not sure if it will be able to with stand pressure on the glass underwater. I am not sure if sealer is toxic either.

Does anyone have any suggstions on how to reseal the mask?

I have been asking how to repair that failure and experimenting for years with no success. Only remedy I have found is to keep a close eye on ebay and grab the bargains when they show up. The last Scubapro Frameless I won on ebay set me back $15 plus shipping.

I have a scuba pro frameless mask. However the seal around the mask and glass on the left hand size leaks a bit, which is extremely annoying because i have to clear it every so often. I love this mask and want to repair it instead of purchasing a new one.

There is no damage to the glass or the outside area., but the rubber surrounding can be pulled to expose the side of the glass. I think all i have to do is put some sealer on the inner part of the frame that holds the glass. However, I am not sure if it will be able to with stand pressure on the glass underwater. I am not sure if sealer is toxic either.

Does anyone have any suggstions on how to reseal the mask?

I have read but cannot confirm that Scubapro has a program which will replace the mask for a fraction of the purchase price. Otherwise purchase a replacement on-line from Leisure Pro for $49.00....

I'd try injecting silicone sealant. Don't worry about pressure issues.

If you do try injecting silicone do it on the outside of the mask. The off gassing that the silicone does during curing is very irritating to the eyes, especially in that tiny environment your eyes are encased in while wearing the mask.

get a new one, toss the old

I'm a fix it kind of guy too, but there are limits.

One of Scubapros biggest flops and they have had a few . I went through 3 with their replacement program etc etc . Great mask with an unfixable design flaw .
I eventually gave up on the product and went back to a frame mask .
Yesterday I just ordered an Atomic frameless after reading countless positive reviews . These guys make a living out of taking Scubapro designs and making them work , my fingers are crossed.

I have an Atomics frame-less low volume also and like it quite a bit.

If you do try injecting silicone do it on the outside of the mask. The off gassing that the silicone does during curing is very irritating to the eyes, especially in that tiny environment your eyes are encased in while wearing the mask.

If you can get it Dow Corning 832 has high adhesion and is specially formulated for low off-gassing.
Whichever you use store the mask in a warm place after injection as temperature speeds the off-gassing process significantly.

In practice however I don't believe this is much of a problem as I used to stick reading lenses inside my mask using silicone (before I moved to Optx and then to proper prescription lenses) and even though this left quite an area of adhesive exposed I used more than one mask prepared in this manner within 24 hours of application.

Attachments

• Dsc00890_mike_perto.jpg
    Dsc00890_mike_perto.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 503
If you can get it Dow Corning 832 has high adhesion and is specially formulated for low off-gassing.
Whichever you use store the mask in a warm place after injection as temperature speeds the off-gassing process significantly.

In practice however I don't believe this is much of a problem as I used to stick reading lenses inside my mask using silicone (before I moved to Optx and then to proper prescription lenses) and even though this left quite an area of adhesive exposed I used more than one mask prepared in this manner within 24 hours of application.

No damn wonder you needed glasses with all that "off gassing" in your mask! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom